Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

ideas on how to make a fold down work table

I just purchased a closetmaid work bench top for $10 at some local discount store. It is really nice actually, 64" w x 3/4" d x 21"d. It is made out of thermofused melamine so its quite heavy. Ideally what I was trying to think of was a way to make this table fold up against the wall and when it was in use I could just swing it down on two legs that would lean against the wall. I realize that my discription is dreadful and im deeply sorry if it makes it any better, the picture of it in my head is fabulous..no? ah heck.

Anyways.. I was thinking about nailing a 2x4 along the studs and attaching the table to it using some heavy duty hinges. the legs I have no idea (how to make them and how to fold them)and the bracket to stick the legs in place I am imagining would be something like a flagpole bracket. I am also trying to figure out how on earth I would make the table stay folded up against the wall.

Let me end this by saying that I did actually look around the internet first before I came here because ,again, dreadful description...a good rule of thumb should probably be if you do not know how to describe and ask the question, then maybe you shouldnt attempt the project

also, if you think the fold up idea is a big no no (maybe too heavy or just dumb ) I would still love to hear your ideas about how you would do this..or how else you would use this fantastic piece of thermofused melamine (whatever that is) because I am just dying to make a darn table out of this thing

thanks !

kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #2

I would do something along the lines of a drop leaf table design. Attach the top to the wall, hinged either up or down, and use a leg similar to this, attached to the wall, that folds up against the wall when not in use. Could either do it square like this, or a triangle so it doesn't rest on the floor.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #3

thank you for that idea...did you make that cabinet? it looks great!

I have looked at other wall mounted table designs and have read that people have used piano hinges.
While I was waiting for someone to reply here, I also looked at the option of using heavy duty folding shelf brackets which seem to run pretty darn expensive but since I got the table for $10 , I should just zip it and be greatful. Also, even though the brackets say it holds hundreds of pounds per bracket, Im still not sure I would be comfortable putting that much weight on the wall studs without using legs.

anyways, thanks so much for your help and taking the time to post the pictures ... I am a little iffy about making table legs but I just bought a circular saw and cant wait to try it.
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote