Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas for building custom bifold doors?

Hi all,
I'm about to embark on my first major home renovation, and I was hoping some of you could offer suggestions on how to build custom bifold doors. I have two closets in my master bathroom that currently have the tackiest white plastic sliding doors. I can only see half of my closet at a time (which drives me crazy). I want to replace them with bifold doors, but the problem I'm running into is that the doors have to be 8 feet tall (due to ceiling height). I would like either plain doors (with no raised panels or anything), or to have a shaker-style on them to mirror the doors of my cabinets. I was planning to use lumber, but I'm having a problem finding 1" thick (which is the minimum thickness requirement for the track system I'm buying) lumber that is wide enough to make the door panels out of. My bathroom is going to be very contemporary, so I really want the doors to look good.
My first thought was to get plywood and glue two pieces together very well, and then fill the crevice between them with wood putty or other filler and then sand down and paint. I'm concerned, however, that when I drill down into the lumber from the top and bottom to install the hardware that this will cause the two pieces to lose structural integrity.

Any thoughts??!
Thanks!

crashley1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ideas for building custom bifold doors?

But 8' hollow core doors. You can special order them from a lumber yard. You actually need doors that are smaller then the ceiling height so the track can fit. In order to avoid custom doors, order the tallest doors available and modify the opening to fit them.
Get good hardware. The bane of most bifold doors is the hardware.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote