Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Share |

i want to put a beam across the open area

between kitchen and living area. I posted on "joinery" but thinking here is more appropriate. I have peaked ceiling and the area need something structural across there. There use to be cabinets that I removed to open it up and now its too open. The beam would be straight across with railings on top of it and connected to the ceiling. I don't know how to connect, what to look for as far as studs, do I need a beam on the ceiling to attach it to for better eye appeal. Any suggestions would be helpful. I did my pine t&g flooring with all your help and it turned out great! Also, the two walls that the beam would be attached to, I have added the same t&g pine board (3in) to each wall. How do I attach the cross beam? Add the railing,ect. thanks

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

I don't understand your post, perhaps if you include some photographs it might make more sense. From your post, it sounds like you removed cabinets, creating an open connection between your kitchen and living room. Since your house apparently did not fall down, that suggests that the cabinets you removed were not load bearing. Now you want to put a structural beam (a header) across the open area. If this is strictly because of cosmetic reasons, and not because you need a structural support, that is a completely different situation than if you actually need a structural support, i.e. your house is ready to fall down.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

from the ceiling, and I took it out. I just want a beam of some sort to visually break up the space that I created. It would have to be about 16 ft long and then with some type of railings or boards hooked to the top of the beam and to the ceiling. Ideas?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

A pic would help a lot!
However, if its for cosmetic reasons only, a beam could be fashioned from styrofoam, for instance! Or you can buy decorative foam 'beams' also!
The 'beam' could be hung from the ceiling using various methods, such as plastic chain. Or chain, such as is used for 'swag' lighting!
Perhaps it could be supported by latice, also!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

beam to the ceiling. Thanks for the idea though. I need to know how to fasten, what to look for. Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #6

Any "real wood" beam 16' long will need studs supporting it at each end, and possibly below the floor to the foundation, depending on the weight.
Your roof trusses are not designed to have this weight hanging off of them.
So you're either punching holes in the walls to add framing, or use some more decorative lumber outside the walls.
I do think you need some "in person" professional guidance on this.
Please stop beginning your sentences in the title line of the post.

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote