Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I want to add this to my entryway

Ok so i have a plain entryway i found a picture online and i want to add the same thing to mine to make it look better. Ok so i know there's chair rail and crown molding on there but what else do i need do i buy Mdf to build those columns on the side? who knows what i need to build this?

rxg2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

Why MDF on the side? I would use real wood since someone at some time is going to be bumping into it.
The side jambs are just clear 1X pine, or Burch, those picture moulds can be done a number of ways, I like using base cap moulding.
The top could be sheetrock, sanded plywood, (never soild wide boards)

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,044

there's absolutely nothing wrong with using mdf for such a project. just as long as its higher quality mdf moldings from a trim supplier as opposed to the low density stuff sold at big box stores.

you will need flat stock regardless get that anywhere. but the problem with big box moldings is that it cant take any punishment at all. it flakes away and chips easily. trim suppliers use mdf thats made up of more sawdust and glue than sawdust and resin. plus it usually gets several coats of sprayed on primer thats sanded between coats.

this is where i get all the trim i install http://www.vintagemouldings.ca/
the only things i dont get from them are 1/4 round and door stop
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I would use mdf for that project. Have built several similar to that, basically same as building a custom fire place to box out a doorway. It is a cool project and you will have fun with it.

You can make some 1 1/2" wide strips for cleats, liquid nail them to existing drywall and shoot some 2" brads at a angle to hold them while the glue dries.
I Wonder what is on the other side of the wall, or what you want, it does not need to mimic or be that extravagant on the other side, maybe you want that.

Is simply a square box you build out of mdf for the columns, elmers wood glue and your brad gun to connect the pieces, mdf is so easy to cut, route, sand, I hate working with it because is so dusty, make all pieces outside and bring them in to install.
The bottom on the columns is just another wrap of mdf that is a bevel or ogee routed.
The trim is probably just some sort of picture frame trim made out of pine.
The chair rail, am not sure if they made it out of layers of mdf, or just more store bought trim
The top of the columns, do you want to go arched or straight across?
Can all be made out of mdf, if arched, have to get creative on what to use for the curved bottom.
Basically, 90% of that would be made from 4'x8' sheets of mdf, the crown moulding, the picture frame moulding, I would try to buy as much of that off the shelf rather then make it.

But is a cool project, will only be limited by your imagination, I say go for it!
funfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
I would use mdf for that project. Have built several similar to that, basically same as building a custom fire place to box out a doorway. It is a cool project and you will have fun with it.

You can make some 1 1/2" wide strips for cleats, liquid nail them to existing drywall and shoot some 2" brads at a angle to hold them while the glue dries.
I Wonder what is on the other side of the wall, or what you want, it does not need to mimic or be that extravagant on the other side, maybe you want that.

Is simply a square box you build out of mdf for the columns, elmers wood glue and your brad gun to connect the pieces, mdf is so easy to cut, route, sand, I hate working with it because is so dusty, make all pieces outside and bring them in to install.
The bottom on the columns is just another wrap of mdf that is a bevel or ogee routed.
The trim is probably just some sort of picture frame trim made out of pine.
The chair rail, am not sure if they made it out of layers of mdf, or just more store bought trim
The top of the columns, do you want to go arched or straight across?
Can all be made out of mdf, if arched, have to get creative on what to use for the curved bottom.
Basically, 90% of that would be made from 4'x8' sheets of mdf, the crown moulding, the picture frame moulding, I would try to buy as much of that off the shelf rather then make it.

But is a cool project, will only be limited by your imagination, I say go for it!
your very right about buying stuff off the shelf. . the amount of time it takes to machine it, then sand it. paint it then sand down each layer of paint between coats just isnt worth it, you just cant get the same finish as preprimed materail
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

In New England we have a company called BROSCO. They have a 388 page book of designs, and every lumber yard around here has a book. They have windows, doors, millwork, even weathervanes and lamp posts, in wood and PVC etc. Web site www.brosco.com. There should be a similar place near you.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

you can also pick up any number of books about trim installation from the taunton press series of books "for pros by pros". their the same people behind fine homebuilding magazine. easily the best books available as every article is done by contractors who specialize in high end work