I Need To Build A Railing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

I need to build a railing


I have a pressure treated deck built over a concrete slab on the front of my rented house. I want to build a railing......the problems are 1. no wall to ancor anyting to. 2. cannot remove deck or attach anything to the slab. 3. it is not decorative, it must function as a railing. 4. are there any railing post anchoring devices that can be sttached to the deck that will provide enough stability to do this?

Advertisement


Last edited by miamimike; 04-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.
miamimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Carpenter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

I need to build a railing


There are metal plates you can attach, and most home centers have them. But I would put blocking under the deck boards for the screws. 5/4 just isn't enough.

Advertisement

Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

I need to build a railing


Can you make it out of pipe, and use screw-in threaded flanges for the base?
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

I need to build a railing


I have a similar problem! I have a concrete porch and because I have a permit open for the porch roof I have been ordered to replace the existing wrought iron hand railing!

Our building code requires that the rail span must be supported at no more than 8 feet!
The span in question is 12' so I want to place a post in the center (6')
The top and bottom rails would be 6' long in each section and supported by the center post. Balusters are to be 2X2
Then I would cap this with a 2X6X12, running between the outside posts.
My problem is how to mount this center post to the concrete!
Because a mounting of this nature is not specified in the code, an engineers drawing must be issued, specifying exactly how this is to be achieved.
A engineers design will cost a couple of hundred bucks, just to mount a post!
Hope you don't have any probs of this nature!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,977
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

I need to build a railing


Need some pictures -- joist size, span, etc. Wildie, Look at ABU on page 9, bottom. http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE07.pdf Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

I need to build a railing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Need some pictures -- joist size, span, etc. Wildie, Look at ABU on page 9, bottom. http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE07.pdf Be safe, G
Thanks for the reply GBAR.

I have had a look at the Simpson site and and the ABU66 would suit my purpose to a Tee.
My problem is that this method of attachment is not included as an acceptable method by our building code.
Therefore, our inspection department requires that the ABU66 would be shown on a signed engineers drawing.

The inspector knows that this would be the way to do the job! However, the constraints of his position do not allow him to make the call.
The municipal inspection department has to abide by the building code and if its not specifically described in the code, a profesional engineer must certify the method.
He will of course, specify the ABU66, and his insurance company will stand behind his advice!
Its CYA all the way!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

I need to build a railing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Thanks for the reply GBAR.

I have had a look at the Simpson site and and the ABU66 would suit my purpose to a Tee.
My problem is that this method of attachment is not included as an acceptable method by our building code.
Therefore, our inspection department requires that the ABU66 would be shown on a signed engineers drawing.

The inspector knows that this would be the way to do the job! However, the constraints of his position do not allow him to make the call.
The municipal inspection department has to abide by the building code and if its not specifically described in the code, a profesional engineer must certify the method.
He will of course, specify the ABU66, and his insurance company will stand behind his advice!
Its CYA all the way!
Hate to throw cold water on your hope, but an ABU66 will probably NOT work for a railing base.

Here is a quote from Simpson: "Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports). "

Unfortunately, this would likely include railings even though they are connected by the handrail. Personally, I have used this post base hundreds of times, and I would never use it for a hand railing. All it is for is to lift the bottom of a post an inch off the concrete. It has no real lateral resistance for something like leaning against the post.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,977
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

I need to build a railing


Good point, Willie. Simpson will warranty for uplift only, on any of their post bases. I re-read your post. Not attach to slab. Room for a 4x12 under the deck rim at the post proposed location? Laying down on it's narrow edge. Wait a minute, the S.E. has to do what you will pay him for!! Never mind the pics I wanted. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

I need to build a railing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Good point, Willie. Simpson will warranty for uplift only, on any of their post bases. I re-read your post. Not attach to slab. Room for a 4x12 under the deck rim at the post proposed location? Laying down on it's narrow edge. Wait a minute, the S.E. has to do what you will pay him for!! Never mind the pics I wanted. Be safe, G
There's no room for a 4X12! Its a concrete deck resting in a concrete foundation, 24" above grade!

Following the link to the Simpson site, on page 9 the ABA/ABU's are shown.
Of course, there's no up-lift on the hand-rail. In this case a post is required to prevent a down-ward movement.
Horizontal movement is prevented by the 2X6 top cap!
Attached Thumbnails
I need to build a railing-simpson-post-base.jpg  
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,977
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

I need to build a railing


Did you look yourself for the code he was siting? Local jurisdictions sometimes are more strict with the codes. The UBC and IRC guidelines are any deck over 30" above grade needs a guard rail. Yours may be 24".

Is it possible to add a raised flower bed next to the deck, to bring grade under the 24" limit?

Otherwise, it's engineering. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

I need to build a railing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Did you look yourself for the code he was siting? Local jurisdictions sometimes are more strict with the codes. The UBC and IRC guidelines are any deck over 30" above grade needs a guard rail. Yours may be 24".

Is it possible to add a raised flower bed next to the deck, to bring grade under the 24" limit?

Otherwise, it's engineering. Be safe, G
In my area anything over 23 5/8" requires a guard!

I did consider bringing in some top soil to bring the grade up a bit.
I have concrete steps and a sidewalk at one end and if I were to bring up the grade, it would affect the drainage away from the house.
I can't believe all these problems over a 42" post! Somehow, I have the feeling that all this bureaucratic gobble de gook, has helped bring about some of the financial mess that we are in today!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extending height of deck railing tntworks General DIY Discussions 4 03-11-2013 08:16 AM
How to fix broken step railing? robertr4836 Carpentry 2 04-18-2008 12:19 PM
To Build or Not To Build scoby1978 General DIY Discussions 6 05-27-2007 05:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts