I Need To Build A Railing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

I need to build a railing

I have a pressure treated deck built over a concrete slab on the front of my rented house. I want to build a railing......the problems are 1. no wall to ancor anyting to. 2. cannot remove deck or attach anything to the slab. 3. it is not decorative, it must function as a railing. 4. are there any railing post anchoring devices that can be sttached to the deck that will provide enough stability to do this?

Advertisement

Last edited by miamimike; 04-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.
miamimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 25

There are metal plates you can attach, and most home centers have them. But I would put blocking under the deck boards for the screws. 5/4 just isn't enough.

Advertisement

Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Can you make it out of pipe, and use screw-in threaded flanges for the base?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have a similar problem! I have a concrete porch and because I have a permit open for the porch roof I have been ordered to replace the existing wrought iron hand railing!

Our building code requires that the rail span must be supported at no more than 8 feet!
The span in question is 12' so I want to place a post in the center (6')
The top and bottom rails would be 6' long in each section and supported by the center post. Balusters are to be 2X2
Then I would cap this with a 2X6X12, running between the outside posts.
My problem is how to mount this center post to the concrete!
Because a mounting of this nature is not specified in the code, an engineers drawing must be issued, specifying exactly how this is to be achieved.
A engineers design will cost a couple of hundred bucks, just to mount a post!
Hope you don't have any probs of this nature!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,020

Need some pictures -- joist size, span, etc. Wildie, Look at ABU on page 9, bottom. http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE07.pdf Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Need some pictures -- joist size, span, etc. Wildie, Look at ABU on page 9, bottom. http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE07.pdf Be safe, G
Thanks for the reply GBAR.

I have had a look at the Simpson site and and the ABU66 would suit my purpose to a Tee.
My problem is that this method of attachment is not included as an acceptable method by our building code.
Therefore, our inspection department requires that the ABU66 would be shown on a signed engineers drawing.

The inspector knows that this would be the way to do the job! However, the constraints of his position do not allow him to make the call.
The municipal inspection department has to abide by the building code and if its not specifically described in the code, a profesional engineer must certify the method.
He will of course, specify the ABU66, and his insurance company will stand behind his advice!
Its CYA all the way!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Thanks for the reply GBAR.

I have had a look at the Simpson site and and the ABU66 would suit my purpose to a Tee.
My problem is that this method of attachment is not included as an acceptable method by our building code.
Therefore, our inspection department requires that the ABU66 would be shown on a signed engineers drawing.

The inspector knows that this would be the way to do the job! However, the constraints of his position do not allow him to make the call.
The municipal inspection department has to abide by the building code and if its not specifically described in the code, a profesional engineer must certify the method.
He will of course, specify the ABU66, and his insurance company will stand behind his advice!
Its CYA all the way!
Hate to throw cold water on your hope, but an ABU66 will probably NOT work for a railing base.

Here is a quote from Simpson: "Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports). "

Unfortunately, this would likely include railings even though they are connected by the handrail. Personally, I have used this post base hundreds of times, and I would never use it for a hand railing. All it is for is to lift the bottom of a post an inch off the concrete. It has no real lateral resistance for something like leaning against the post.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #8

Good point, Willie. Simpson will warranty for uplift only, on any of their post bases. I re-read your post. Not attach to slab. Room for a 4x12 under the deck rim at the post proposed location? Laying down on it's narrow edge. Wait a minute, the S.E. has to do what you will pay him for!! Never mind the pics I wanted. Be safe, G
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Good point, Willie. Simpson will warranty for uplift only, on any of their post bases. I re-read your post. Not attach to slab. Room for a 4x12 under the deck rim at the post proposed location? Laying down on it's narrow edge. Wait a minute, the S.E. has to do what you will pay him for!! Never mind the pics I wanted. Be safe, G
There's no room for a 4X12! Its a concrete deck resting in a concrete foundation, 24" above grade!

Following the link to the Simpson site, on page 9 the ABA/ABU's are shown.
Of course, there's no up-lift on the hand-rail. In this case a post is required to prevent a down-ward movement.
Horizontal movement is prevented by the 2X6 top cap!
Attached Thumbnails
I need to build a railing-simpson-post-base.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #10

Did you look yourself for the code he was siting? Local jurisdictions sometimes are more strict with the codes. The UBC and IRC guidelines are any deck over 30" above grade needs a guard rail. Yours may be 24".

Is it possible to add a raised flower bed next to the deck, to bring grade under the 24" limit?

Otherwise, it's engineering. Be safe, G
Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Did you look yourself for the code he was siting? Local jurisdictions sometimes are more strict with the codes. The UBC and IRC guidelines are any deck over 30" above grade needs a guard rail. Yours may be 24".

Is it possible to add a raised flower bed next to the deck, to bring grade under the 24" limit?

Otherwise, it's engineering. Be safe, G
In my area anything over 23 5/8" requires a guard!

I did consider bringing in some top soil to bring the grade up a bit.
I have concrete steps and a sidewalk at one end and if I were to bring up the grade, it would affect the drainage away from the house.
I can't believe all these problems over a 42" post! Somehow, I have the feeling that all this bureaucratic gobble de gook, has helped bring about some of the financial mess that we are in today!

Advertisement