Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need alot of advice on making corner shelving

Hi, As you can see I'm a newbie here.
I want to make corner shelves in my kitchen to hold my computer etc.

The problem I face is that I know so little about this stuff that the easiest instructions I've found on line trip me up. For instance, I don't even know how to set the boards relative to each other. I imagine one way would make the shelving stronger than another, but even there I'm not sure. For instance, does it make a difference if the sides of the shelving rest on top of the bottom piece when it's nailed together, or is the bottom piece nailed inside the two sides? (Remember, this is a corner shelf.)

Then another set of instructions I found online mentioned plywood facing. I have no idea what plywood facing is!

See my dilemma? The instructions I've read so far are for people with at least some kind of knowledge about this stuff. And as you can see, I have none.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on this? I'm looking for the simplest design that will do the job.

This diy stuff is hard!!

Funchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

With no experience and probably no tools you may want to look at this corner desk.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ools-Computer/

Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #3

Taz,

Thanks for the reply.
I do have tools since I've been doing quite a bit of things around my house already. I don't have a circular saw or any other big power tools, but I can get the wood cut at Home Depot, so that's not a big issue.

I do have some experience. Just not much. As you can see.

But I enjoy doing this stuff. I love making my own things and doing the work so I really want to make it myself and not buy it.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Note that corners are seldom actually 90 degrees, and the drywall finishing in the very corner may make it differing from the angle of the two walls.

I built a corner shelf for a TV - figured out how wide it needed to be at the front to accomodate the TV, then from that I could calculate the length along each wall - pieces of 2x2 were then screwed to either wall. Next I measured what the actual triangle shape top dimensions were needed and cut a plywood top accordingly. In the very corner I cut the triangle top's "tip" off by a few inches - so as to not have to worry about the fit in the corner, and to make a place for wires and cables to pass through. A nice trim board cut to fit across the front and a bit of 1/4 round molding along where the top meets the walls and it was done.

Last edited by vsheetz; 11-23-2008 at 12:35 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

This cabinet will be mounted on the wall on one of it's sides. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of hardware to use to hang it?