Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

I need advice for the new stairway

Attached here is a photo of the existing short stairway that leads from my house side entrance into the kitchen (which is behind the closed door). This will all be replaced with a completely new stairs that is going to be custom made for me. The new landing, right side wing-shelf and the actual stairs frame will be built out of plywood, on top of which all will have ceramic (non-slippery type) tiles glued-on.

My question is about the two side areas that I circled in the photo. My contractor is proposing that I leave out the wooden sides in the new build, and make the new stairway go directly into the wall sheet-rock. Otherwise he says, it will look ugly if I have to put a little trim made out of wood on the left side on top (you can see a small molding) and then insert wooden riser side holders.

Are there any other solutions you can suggest? I don't think I can make a tiny ceramic molding on the left side of the stairs, and it seems like having wood on the sides in combination with ceramic steps + sheetrock might indeed look ugly.

Your input is much appreciated for comments or further ideas.

P.S. The new design will make the step size & slanting more correct than on the existing stairs as shown in the photo and in addition, there is no way to make the steps wider, as there is a double-beam just under the right-side wing shelf area.
Attached Thumbnails
I need advice for the new stairway-stairs.jpg  

mystiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

That is called a skirt board---typically that skirt board is made of thicker wood than the one you have now--so that it is 1/2", or more,proud of the drywall--allowing for a nice trim on top to hide the drywall/skirt junction.

Are you stairs being built by a stair builder or a carpenter?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,110

Can you back up and take another picture?
Trying to see why that knee wall is even there.
To build this to code the stairs need to be at least as wide as the door opening.
There is going to be a hand rail, right?
Since the whole thing is going to be ripped out to redo it I would definitely want skirt boards to prevent damage to the sheetrock when cleaning the stairs, no wood trim needed, where the tile comes in contact with the wall no matter what is on the wall there's going to need to be caulking to hid the gap.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #4

Thank you all for the initial responses. And thank you for teaching me the correct term for this (skirt board). Attached is the requested "back-up" photo to give a better idea about the allignment.

A stair builder is going to be doing my job. There is another stairs which I did not post about (going down to the cellar) which is being made at the factory out of red oak and needs to help. After installing that portion, he will custom build the landing and these four risers going up (pictured) right at my location. I am planning to use 3/8" tile.

joecaption: If I have the skirtboard sticking out by 1/2 inch on each side, and I don't think I want to put tile on the side of the stairs (or on top of the skirt), how will this look then? Little confused ... But completely agree that I think that it's a good re-enforcement as just having sheetrock on the side will probably get that beaten up within a week of installation.

We don't plan to put a hand rail (as there hasn't been one for the 4 years we lived here using the current staris, and it seems okay). Instead, we plan to hang a narrow shoe-storage on the side of the wall for people that come in with dirty shoes and/or house slippers.

Just to clarify, although you can see about 7 more inches of space to the right of the stairs, we unfortuantely cannot expand the stairs to beyond maybe 1 or 2 inches, as there is a double-beam hidden there.

Any photos of what you think can / should be done would be most helpful.

Thanks again all!
Attached Thumbnails
I need advice for the new stairway-stairs2.jpg  

Last edited by mystiky; 07-17-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,110

http://www.westfiremfg.com/html/stair_codes.html

Leave off the hand rail and it's not going to meet code.
Personally I'd never tile a set of steps, but If I did I would just have the skirt on the sides not tiles.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

I am now thinking about just using sheetrock on the sides, with ceramic tile glued directly on it (in triangles with the steps).

This way, there is no skirt, no trim/molding to worry about and it will be easu to clean the stairs, not worrying about hitting the sides.

As far as railing, I can always go ahead and install it. I am more concerned with doing the right thing with the steps right now.

Further opinions...?