I Got A Message From Danger Mouse...... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

I got a message from Danger Mouse......

saying that my pics would be removed if I didn't take down the website spam on them. Is he talking about the "Supermotors" embedded in the pics? Or is this guy a scammer? If so, I have no control over that. So, delete if you must!

Advertisement

thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post
saying that my pics would be removed if I didn't take down the website spam on them. Is he talking about the "Supermotors" embedded in the pics? Or is this guy a scammer? If so, I have no control over that. So, delete if you must!
DM is a notorious scammer.

Watch out for him and all his helpful advice, inspiring projects, and selfless work as a moderator.

Advertisement

AndyGump (06-08-2011), Tom Struble (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Thank you, I thought so.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
just a tool guy

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
DM is a notorious scammer.

Watch out for him and all his helpful advice, inspiring projects, and selfless work as a moderator.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

....solutions simple. Dont put that stuff on your pictures. And why would you whine about it? And why would you call him out for it? The guys a moderator here. Have some respect!
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
....solutions simple. Dont put that stuff on your pictures.
I don't think he has any control over it. More and more sites are embedding their logos as watermarks on hosted images. The site that he is using to host his photos has done the same thing, embedding the site name in the corner.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
How can you have no control over the content of your personal pictures that you post? I don't care if the host site put it there or not, you knew it would be there when you posted, didn't you?

Why not just post directly from your hard drive as everyone else does? It's a lot easier, too.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-08-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

I'm with the OP on image hosting elsewhere. There are a lot faster/easier ways to store your photos online and just link to them when you want to post on a forum than having to upload it to each forum you want to post to.

Also, just curious, what's the site's problem with a watermark on an image?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I'm with the OP on image hosting elsewhere. There are a lot faster/easier ways to store your photos online and just link to them when you want to post on a forum than having to upload it to each forum you want to post to.

If they choose to pay Nathan for advertising, fine. Otherwise, it's his dime we are mooching on here, so he gets to make the choice of restricting unpaid advertising.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:

Thats what I want to know. And for the record, DM's message said nothing about being a mod, so I didn't know if he was another scammer trying to get me to reply to get info. Had his status shown he was a mod I would have told him that I have no control over the watermark on the pics and feel free to take them down. For the ones who understand and actually read the post, thank you.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 06-11-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: As per forum rules.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
If they choose to pay Nathan for advertising, fine. Otherwise, it's his dime we are mooching on here, so he gets to make the choice of restricting unpaid advertising.
Under the advertising rules, I would think that a watermark placed on the image would fall under exception 2?

Quote:
Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so...

The user has no vested interest in the site where his images are hosted, and is posting the image for the good of the discussion in his threads. If no image watermarking is allowed - that should probably be laid out in the rules, as image watermarking is only increasing in popularity by the hosting sites as they compete with eachother.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Thunderhead---Please cool off ----Danger Mouse is just doing his job----

If you had responded to his E-mail and told him that the water marks were stuck there by the hosting outfit,I'm quite sure you would have found Danger to be understanding and a decent guy.

I consider him a friend of the site and a friend of mine.

You have lost face here for berating a dedicated member like this----

Do what you know is right---talk to Danger---Mike----
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Thunderhead---Please cool off ----Danger Mouse is just doing his job----

If you had responded to his E-mail and told him that the water marks were stuck there by the hosting outfit,I'm quite sure you would have found Danger to be understanding and a decent guy.

I consider him a friend of the site and a friend of mine.

You have lost face here for berating a dedicated member like this----

Do what you know is right---talk to Danger---Mike----
Where did I berate him? I only asked if he was legit. You have never had a scammer message you? Now, I may have berated a couple other dumb ass's who can't read and responded. I will be glad to message him back when I get off work tonight. My only comment that could even be remotely directed to him was feel free to delete my post.
The Following User Says Thank You to thunderhead For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
the Musigician

Quote:
Thats what I want to know. And for the record, DM's message said nothing about being a mod, so I didn't know if he was another scammer trying to get me to reply to get info. Had his status shown he was a mod I would have told him that I have no control over the watermark on the pics and feel free to take them down. So, for the ones who want to jump my ass for this, take a hike. For the ones who understand and actually read the post, thank you.
Sorry for not mentioning my moderator status in the message, and also for not realizing you were pulling hosted pics with THEIR crap on them. I ALWAYS post my pics straight to here from my HDD. The moderator status is clearly explained in our 'welcome' thread in Introductions: Welcome New Members! Please read this before proceeding! To quote, in case you missed it, "Moderators can be identified by their nicks showing in BOLD print in their posts, as mine is.
At present, my fellow moderators are: thekctermite, AtlanticWBConst., GBR in WA, joasis, Ed the Roofer, oh'mike, and beenthere"

....so please get rid of those picture's spam. Either by deleting or editing in any graphics program. If you have any problems doing so, any of the moderators here will be happy to assist you.

Good Luck, Play Nice, Have Fun and Have a Magical Day!

DM
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
the Musigician

Quote:
Under the advertising rules, I would think that a watermark placed on the image would fall under exception 2?

The user has no vested interest in the site where his images are hosted, and is posting the image for the good of the discussion in his threads. If no image watermarking is allowed - that should probably be laid out in the rules, as image watermarking is only increasing in popularity by the hosting sites as they compete with each other.
Good points. We need to clarify how these things are and are not allowed, but as you can see, it's a fine line we walk. The exception relates to someone linking to a website they think can help provide information that may not be available here, or to link to a product that will help the OP.
This brings into play a new problem we will need to address.

Thank You all.

DM

Advertisement