DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Huge gap under baseboards!

12K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  gloriousglenn 
#1 ·
It was difficult to think of a title that best describes this! Anyway, the problem is this....

I have laid a hardwood floor and I am now fitting new baseboards back on the wall. I cut them all to length, put the first piece in and it seems that the floor is bowed! The baseboard sits flush at one end and the other, and there is a 3/4" gap from the floor to the bottom of the baseboard, in the middle. Here are some pics to hopefully show the problem.

Is there any easy way of sorting this out?

Cheers
Glenn

See less See more
#7 ·
It is not essential that baseboards are "level"
As the bow to the floor seems to be in the middle, maybe the floor is bowed at the opposite wall also.To determine the extent of floor deflection first string a chalk line below the baseboard height say 1" below the top edge, doing this in each corner at the height if the baseboard now. You can then measure the extent of the bow.

The remedy can be a combination of one to four things.
1] Scribe the baseboard to the floor using a pair of compasses to mark
2] Push the baseboard down in the middle
3] Use a shoe molding
4] Call ya dad.......... numbskull
....you have my number:wink:

#14 ·
Push the areas of baseboard down where you need it to contour to the floor sag.

As others have suggested, you can also use shoe base to make up some of the lesser width gaps.

Alternately, you could scribe the baseboard where needed (if you have the skill level and equipment to be able to do the cuts and install).

#15 ·
OK
I'll ask it....
Is the floor bowed or is the moulding bowed??????????

I have seen more than my share of base molding that is not straight. Stringline the floor and the molding first to see which is out of line. Better yet, flip the molding over (top on the bottom) and see if the bow is in the same place

#17 ·
OK
I'll ask it....
Is the floor bowed or is the moulding bowed??????????
I have to admit, I had not thought of that, but I have checked, and it is definitely the floor that's out.

After you get all the stuff in the room if your like us you'll not see much of the baseboard anyway.
That may well be the case too.

All great points. Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.