Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

How to run new cable to outside?

I want to install a new coax line from the outside to the inside of my house. I am doing it behind my TV which is in a niche that is located directly over my gas fireplace. The niche and fireplace are in a bump out on the back side of the house. It is drywall, 2x4 studs, and vinyl siding. I assume there is a vapor barrier, fiberglass batt insulation, and housewrap.

My question is, what is the best way to go about doing this? I have made sure there is no electrical, gas, or plumbing lines. Should I just drill a hole to the outside? I was thinking I would remove siding and get the coax out and run it behind the siding. I figured I would cut a hole in the drywall and put in a box for the coax outlet. My main concern is the actual drilling of the hole - any concerns I should have? Also, how should I go about sealing things back up?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I put this in electrical but it isn't getting any answers...I guess it is more suited for carpenters anyway.

2 threads on same issue merged

hoggin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

If you have a basement or crawl space, I would go that way. Punching a hole through the wall always smells of a hack job, and shows sloppiness.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Do work

If you want to go through the wall to the outside, then buy an installers bit. Bits come in 1/2 and 3/8. You drill from the inside to the outside. One the bit is through, dont remove it. There is a hole in the end of the bit. Strip back the coax and attach it to the bit, then pull the bit and the coax through the wall.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote