Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?

I want to repair the surface of my garage door panel which is ripped and peeling and warping. The wood piece behind the surface is OK. Just the woodgrain layer on top is peeling off. As you can see in the pics, the thin piece of fake woodgrain on the lowest panel has sucked up some water, and has separated from the wood portion of the panel. I thought of putting some glue in there and then clamping a 2 x 4 down on it for a day to let it dry, but the warp is so strong I think it might not hold very long. My other ideas so far are along the lines of screwing a board onto the top of the damaged area, and painting the board. I would have 2 boards, one to the left of the handle and one to the right. But what type of wood? Regular exterior treated wood? What dimension? 1 x 3 ? How about a plastic board? Some sort of molding? what type and length of screws to use? Drill holes or not? Drill all the way through the panel or just part way in? How to make it all look good when done? The panel is 1.25 inches thick behind the woodgrain. The woodgrain material looks about 1/8 of an inch but might be swollen with water. I could even cut off the bottom 4 inches of the woodgrain and glue something else in there. More woodgrain? How about using some aluminum? I also want to repair the second lowest panel also. It's fake woodgrain material is separating also. But that's another project. I don't want to get a new door, at least not yet, since they are over a thousand bucks now. There must be many different ways to repair the panel and have it be long lasting and look good. I just want to get some more ideas before I start the project. And I welcome criticism of my ideas too ! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?-whole-door-june-2014.jpg   How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?-second-panel-gap.jpg   How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?-peeling-june-2014.jpg   How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?-peel-june-2014.jpg  

Kronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronor View Post
The wood behind the surface is OK.
Just the (veneer) layer on top is peeling off.
Repairing it will be a lot of bother.

Try removing the veneer layer entirely...
then replacing it entirely.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,108

Time for a whole new door if it's in that bad a shape and never have to mess with it again
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Repairing it will be a lot of bother.

Try removing the veneer layer entirely...
then replacing it entirely.

Tarheel Terp. Thanks for the veneer idea! I had not thought of that.

Removing and replacing all the veneer sounds like a lot of work! I'd have to remove the handle, and to do that I'd have to remove the horizontal angle on the back of the lower panel. Plus the other handle above it, plus the carriage bolts at the 2 bottom corners.

Maybe I could go with my 2 pieces of wood method. I'd drill countersunk holes in the piece of wood, and also drill into the panel, but not all the way through. Then I'd screw the wood over the bad part of the panel, with lag screws, and tighten it up. Or I could use countersunk carriage bolts and drill all the way through the panel. Then putty over the holes. Then paint.

What do you thinK?

P.S. Did you go to North Carolina and Maryland ? ( Tarheels and Terrapins)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 328

There's no way that veneer will hold any glue or a screw. If you can't replace or patch, I'd caulk it, sand away the worst damage, soak with wood hardner then paint.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Removing and replacing all the veneer sounds like a lot of work!
The hard work will be getting that section of door off and onto sawhorses.
From there it should just be another task.

As other have noted the job is probably a fools errand.
But until you have that veneer off and can see just how weak/strong the underlying wood may be you CAN'T know what you're up against.
If the wood is OK... lay on an ext grade veneer. Maybe even FRP.

Quote:
P.S. Did you go to North Carolina and Maryland ? ( Tarheels and Terrapins)
From MD now in NC.

Fear The Turtle:
Attached Thumbnails
How to Repair Ripped and Peeling Surface Layer of Wooden Garage Door Panel?-fear-turtle.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

OK. Nobody likes my idea of attaching a 1 x 3 over the peeling and cracking
portion of the veneer. Too ghetto, perhaps. Some other garages in my neighborhood have done the 1 x 3 treatment, and it looks OK, I think. You don't notice it unless you're looking for it.

See the veneer on the second panel from the bottom? It's bending out more and more at the bottom. What can I do to reattach it to the panel?
How can I make it look good when done? I have 1 and 1/4 inches of panel board to drill into, drill through, screw into, or nail into. What about just using some one inch self-tapping screws, right through the veneer and into the panel board with no pre-drilling? Or should I drill all the way through and use carriage bolts? I can see and touch the wood and it seems fine. No rot.

TarheelTerp : Scary turtle picture !! I'm a Nittany Lion myself. We'ill be getting your offensive coordinator Franklin to be our new head football coach this Fall.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 152

Does this door have some sentimental or other value to you? Based on the pictures it seems to have soaked up a lot of water over time which has shown up now as warped veneer, and some rot possibly on the bottom panel.

I find older, weathered, often wet doors get very heavy. Have you considered replacing it? Or is this a project you are going to do and are just looking for approaches?
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
Does this door have some sentimental or other value to you? Based on the pictures it seems to have soaked up a lot of water over time which has shown up now as warped veneer, and some rot possibly on the bottom panel.

I find older, weathered, often wet doors get very heavy. Have you considered replacing it? Or is this a project you are going to do and are just looking for approaches?
Orange,

The door doesn't have sentimental value, but my cash does! Over $1,000 for a new door, from what I hear. The door doesn't feel heavy. Goes up and down normally.

Yes, it's a project I'm thinking of doing myself, and I'm just looking for approaches to repair the door that leave it looking fairly decent. A lot of other homes on my street have the same garage door and they have repaired them in various ways. I don't know any of them well enough to just pop over and ask them how they did it, though.

Last edited by Kronor; 07-04-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
I don't know any of them well enough to just pop over and ask them how they did it, though.
Remedy that.

Just "pop over"... introduce yourself and ask.