How To Repair Deterioration On Inside Of Window Frame? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fountain Valley, CA 92708 (orange county)
Posts: 749
Rewards Points: 682

How to repair deterioration on inside of window frame?

I would like to repair the damage visible in the picture, the damage extends along the entire bottom of the window. I would like to just tear into it but I'm not sure what is beneath the surface. I think there is aluminum or something like that under the paint. Is anyone familiar with this type of window installation and knows how to go about fixing it?
Attached Thumbnails
How to repair deterioration on inside of window frame?-upload_bad_window1.jpg  


darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 229
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

It looks like the area is getting damp and that is the main reason it looks that way. You will probably have to figure out where/why water is getting to that point. Yu might need a new window, or just some caulking or flashing on the outside to start, but more then likely, there is more damage that isnt visible until you tear it apart.


zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336

This is a two step process. You need to find out where the water is getting in and repairing the damage that's been done.
It looks like a flanged aluminum window. There are nailing flanges on the exterior, that are buried under the exterior finish. There should be drainage holes or channels under the screen so water can run out. Many times these are caulked and/or painted over so the water get into the framing underneath. Look at the other windows that don't exhibit this damage to see how they are set up.
The metal underneath is the steel corner bead used to finish an outside corner.

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-13-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added info
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Defogging" double-pane windows .... a gimmick?? alexz General DIY Discussions 133 03-10-2010 12:35 PM
Replacing aluminum window with a vinyl one? Doug Crf Building & Construction 2 04-23-2007 04:49 AM
How do I repair my window frame sherlock Carpentry 18 12-20-2006 08:54 AM
Window jamb helpless handyman Carpentry 11 08-03-2006 12:45 PM
Window Frame Materials - Vinyl vs Aluminum vs Fiberglass chrison600 Building & Construction 2 10-09-2005 11:13 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1