How To Repair Bedroom Door Strike Plate - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to repair Bedroom Door Strike Plate

Could anyone help, on an Idea of how to repair the wood where a doors strike plate was once at , the area has all rotted out an needs replaced, But I'm quite sure how much it would take, or any how to videos out there

Advertisement

jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you have a router this is the way to go. You cut out the bad part with the router. then glue a patch tightly into the cut out. Trim the corners with a sharp chisel.. Sharp is the operative word here. No router? do it all with a sharp chisel. Did I mention Sharp!? Leave the thickness of the patch stock slightly more than the cut. Then sand flush, prime and paint. You will never see the patch.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

bob's solution is the best but if you don't have the ability to do it that way you can remove the damaged material fill back with Rockhard putty sand and paint. This is like a plastic filler and will also require sharp tools to reinstall your strike. did i mention sharp?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I guess this depends on the depth of the bad wood. Anything more than a 1/4" or so, the putty or any filler will eventually shrink and fall out.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

thank you both for your replies I like the idea of the router / wood chisel, I spoke with a man at Lowes and he tried to sale me a whole door , frame and all, but I'm trying to find the least cost repair possible,
jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,338

Bob suggested the best method I know of. Nice details too. Thumbs up Bob!
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

nice thing about the Rockhard putty is how stable it is and not prone to shrinkage.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

This is not intended to be an ad, it's from my experience with this very problem. I used to try to hold up a small router to do this, not good for me. I've tried drilling holes and finishing up with wood chisels, this works, and as mentioned--SHARP is the key here. I now have a multi-tool, with an oscillating blade that is the trick for this. Drilling holes helps also, and then cut out the bad wood with the saw, and finish with a good SHARP chisel. I agree with cutting the replacement piece slightly larger and using a good wood glue. After the glue dries, then sand to a smooth finish, then start as if new wood altogether.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote