Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |

How to Remove Gainsborough Doorknob?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question since it involves hardware, but I'm removing door hardware in preparation for painting. One door has knobs that do not have the usual screws on the cover plate. No screws at all except the two on the edge of the door that hold in the lock/latch mechanism. The metal plate there appears to say "Gainsborough."

Anyone know the trick to removing this kind of doorknob?
Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Amy, I have not used this specific brand but first you need to remove the knob. In your case (not applicable for Schlage) it looks like the knob is connected to the shaft that operates the latch and is secured to that shaft by a screw on the bottom (6 o'clock position). The old time knobs used small slot head screws while the newer style are mostly Allen set screws.

The Allen Set screws are sized in both English and in Metric sizes. As a budding DIY'r you should get a small set of each. If you already have a set of each then for you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_59ea7soexd_b

Once the knob is off, you can remove the rosette.

Let us know what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Remove Gainsborough Doorknob?-door-knob.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-02-2009 at 02:30 PM.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You may not have any sort of screw, but rather a small "slot" on the shaft of the handle. If this is the case, insert a thin screwdriver blade in the slot to depress a spring-loaded "detent". With this detent pushed in, you can slide the knob off.... then pry off the cover ring with the same small, thin screwdriver. You'll find the two screws you're looking for beneath.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

As I recall, some Australian Gainsbouroughs actually unscrewed at the faceplate, itself. You turn the whole face plate with your fingers. Sometimes tough to do.

Many older locks had this screw off setup..... some you honestly unscrewed the knob, itself, counterclockwise to remove it.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
kirkpala (02-23-2013), Rip (10-01-2010)
Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

There are no flat or Allen head screws in the shaft of the doorknob.

Turning the knobs counter clockwise does not loosen them -- I hit resistance and I think if I apply any more torque something is going to snap.

I can see/feel nothing in the hole that is in one of the cover plates (I've inserted an awl/punch, Allen wrenches, etc.

I've tried turning each of the plates counterclockwise with my fingers after banging on them to loosen paint; no luck.

Putting the end of a screwdriver against the side of the hole and banging the cover plate in a counterclockwise direction does not result in any noticeable movement.

The little lever sticking out locks the doorknob when it is pushed downward.

One doorknob came off in my hand when closing the door, before I tried to disassemble everything. I will epoxy it back on if I ever get this thing off.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Remove Gainsborough Doorknob?-269-hillside-repairs-063.jpg   How to Remove Gainsborough Doorknob?-269-hillside-repairs-070.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Old School

Sorry, but I'm stumped. I really expected the faceplate to screw off.

See if they can give you some help at this site...

http://www.gainsboroughhardware.com.au/

Tell them it looks like their "Sonata" line.... maybe the 300, 350, or 360.

Ask them about the possibility of it having a "grub" screw, and if so, where, and what size allen wrench.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-03-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amycat View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place for this question since it involves hardware, but I'm removing door hardware in preparation for painting. One door has knobs that do not have the usual screws on the cover plate. No screws at all except the two on the edge of the door that hold in the lock/latch mechanism. The metal plate there appears to say "Gainsborough."

Anyone know the trick to removing this kind of doorknob?
On the inside where the locking tab is, the trim is in two pieces. The piece closest to the knob THREADS OFF turning counter-clockwise. This will remove the inside knob and expose the two retaining screws which when removed will allow the outside knob assemble to be removed. Watch that you do not lose the square rod when removing the inside. It goes thru the inside to the outside and interacts with the outside know. This must be installed before installing the inside knob when you reassemble the lock.
I have the same lock and this worked for me today.

geneF

Last edited by genef; 09-04-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: change word know to knob
genef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #8

But how is one supposed to grip the trim? Fingers just slide off.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #9

Wink

I could not move mine for about 5 minutes. I used a mallot and a small screwdriver to try to rotate the inner ring close to the door surface one direction and then another. That did not help. I was confused. I then tried to turn the outer portion and apparently it became loose from hitting the unit with a mallot, which I don't recommend. You may try to use a piece of rubber (circular, like that used to loosen glass jar tops) or a piece of velcrose with the sticky side placed on the trim. It will come loose. And needs to come loose in order to get it off. I may have just gotten lucky today when I installed a new door and wanted to save the hardware. Afterall, I am a 41 year experienced locksmith ! Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #10

Talking

If you don't want to save the lock, (I noticed you tried to take off the latch portion first, which cannot be done) you can take a 1/4" drill bit and drill two holes horizontally, one on the left side and one on the right side half way between the center of the knob and the outer edge of the trim. Make sure that you do this from the side where the locking tab is. This is approximately where the two screws are located, you can then remove the unit.

Last edited by genef; 09-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #11

I got it off. Finally. I used the underside of a Martha Stewart (!) bathmat, which is coated with rubber, to grip the cover plate. I still had to use some force, but the rubber provided enough friction.

If I'm ever putting in new doorknobs, I will never use cheap crap like this one.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #12

Cool

It actually is the way they make these items since they are specialized locks, used mostly as decorative lock sets. In these situations the manufacturer tries to hide any mounting screws and they do that by designing locks as this one was done. Not necessarily crap, just design.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #13

Maybe not cheap, but stupid. I'm also not impressed that the doorknob itself is glued on.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #14

Due to this information I was able to finally get this door knob off.

I was so perplexed but this thread solved the problem.

Thankyou again so much!!
Thasaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #15

After both glass knobs came off of that stupid thing at different times, I chucked it in the trash. One knob had obviously been epoxied before.

The door now has a "regular" metal doorknob.