Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to remove a broken 1/8 bit from a bannister...

HELP!!! I am trying install a child saftey gate on my staircase. In the process of drilling the 1/8 inch diameter 2 inch deep holes into my bannister the bit breaks in the bannister! How in the world do I get the broken bit out?? I don't want to mess up the bannister in the process. Any advice would be helpfull

mdp1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

If the bit is protruding try vise grips and turn counterclockwise. You can also tighten the drill chuck onto the bit and back it out if there is about 1/2" remaining.
If your bits are snapping you may have some embedded metal, or are you drilling into steel.? If you're drilling steel start with a smaller bit, then expand and only buy good quality replacements.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
If the bit is protruding try vise grips and turn counterclockwise. You can also tighten the drill chuck onto the bit and back it out if there is about 1/2" remaining.
If your bits are snapping you may have some embedded metal, or are you drilling into steel.? If you're drilling steel start with a smaller bit, then expand and only buy good quality replacements.
No, the bit is in there more than a inch. I can't see what is left of it. I was drilling into wood. the 1st three holes went fine. The last one gave me the problem..
Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,036

Leave it in there. Optionally use wood filler and stain etc. to fill and refinish the hole.

For most situations you can just omit the screw that will occupy that hole. One notable exception is for a bracket that will hold something heavy like a plasma TV. You would then then want to drill another hole through both the bracket and the stud or bannister near where the spoiled hole is.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Leave it in there. Optionally use wood filler and stain etc. to fill and refinish the hole.

For most situations you can just omit the screw that will occupy that hole. One notable exception is for a bracket that will hold something heavy like a plasma TV. You would then then want to drill another hole through both the bracket and the stud or bannister near where the spoiled hole is.
Ok. So just basically drill another hole in the mount for this child safety gate. Didn't think about that. Also how hard is it to just replace the Post part of the bannister??
Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

AllanJ gave you the best way. (Hey, I'm a poet! )
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use a plug cutter to cut around the drill bit that is broken off. It will make a hollow groove around the drill bit. Then just pop off the cutout which will contain the drill bit. Then add 1/2" oak dowel into the hole, Now screw the banister into the oak dowel and your done. Or you could use a plug cutter small enough that the outside dimensions will be hidden by the banister and the inside is large enough to go around the drill bit.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote