Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Independent old lady.

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?

A louvered bi-fold closet door(s) 2 inside panels have skewed over time (thanks to gravity.) Looked simple to just tap them back to square with a rubber mallet but not seeing much happening. Is there a better way, a correct way to square the door panel?

redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

The bi-fold doors should have small spring-loaded guides on top and threaded adjustable bolts on the bottom that fit into a slot of openings in a small floor-mounted bracket at the outside corner of the door frame.
Raise up on the door and you should find the bracket. Realign the threaded bolt for plumb into the proper hole in the floor bracket. Unscrew it or screw it in as necessary (adjustable by hand) to get the doors level.
Good Luck!
Mike
An Independent old man. LOL

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Independent old lady.

That is what I thought also from looking at it there hanging but not the problem, the panel itself is skewed. Gravity pulling on the stile and rail (are they?) joints.
Perhaps photos to describe better…kinda hard to capture. All of the photos are taken with door horizontal and level on a table; I'm standing at the top of the door.

In photo 2 & 3 the drywall square is aligned along the center hinge side of one door (2 Panel.) Hard to see but there is a 3/8" gap there at the end of the long side.

The last 2 photos I tried to capture the inside or freehanging center panel has ½" droop. That is a framing square on the right side lined up with the outer edges of the TOP of the panel which is folded on the outer.

All the hinges are amazingly pristine for Hawaii with not one even slightly loose screw. No warping, nothing loose and nary a rattle.
Attached Thumbnails
How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door.jpg   How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door-4.jpg   How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door-3.jpg   How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door-2.jpg   How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door-6.jpg  

How to realign louvered bi-fold door panel?-mc-door-7.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

About all you can do is pull the corners apart, and re-glue them. And this will be an alignment nightmare trying to get all the louvers back into place.

If aesthetics will work, you can drill each corner wilh long holes to accept several glued dowels, clamping it into a square shape till the glue sets up.

Sometimes even long screws in the sides of the corners will work... but you should still get some glue in there, somehow.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-14-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

separate the two doors, measure diagonal, take door and hit long angle on floor or put on framed rack that is square and hit long side with block and hammer into square. screw right angle flat brackets onto 4 corners on inside of panels
Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
Independent old lady.

Willie T: Waaaa L
That is so NOT what I was hoping for. Some how I never suspected they were glued, head in the sand disease I suppose. Glue would explain why everything is so tight 20+ years later, duh.
Don’t even want to think about reassemble scads of slats. I can’t see myself prying them apart without butchering them (and confident not just to escape the slatmare.)

Tpolk: Guess I’ll amp up the whacking…move up to the 3# sledge? Would my intent be more of encouraging the glue to give a little bit by bit or to break the bond? Are there any environmental factors that may help such as heat?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover View Post
Willie T: Waaaa L
That is so NOT what I was hoping for. Some how I never suspected they were glued, head in the sand disease I suppose. Glue would explain why everything is so tight 20+ years later, duh.
Don’t even want to think about reassemble scads of slats. I can’t see myself prying them apart without butchering them (and confident not just to escape the slatmare.)

Tpolk: Guess I’ll amp up the whacking…move up to the 3# sledge? Would my intent be more of encouraging the glue to give a little bit by bit or to break the bond? Are there any environmental factors that may help such as heat?
The individual slats are very likely NOT glued... just the corners.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
The individual slats are very likely NOT glued... just the corners.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Independent old lady.

Hokay.
I’m not seeing any brokenish glue bonds anywhere, exposed dowel even looks clean. Had another go at knocking sense into them, and the 3# sledge has indeed been enlightening.
I’m understand the glued dowel but not sure how to – well enough - and within my limits. Will I be contriving something vaguely resembling a horizontal drill press? Should I angle bracket first or last?

Had another harebrained idea. The panels are 17+ inches wide each to span the 6’ closet opening. What do you think about taking a load off the fee end 3’ out there with wire and turnbuckle eye bolted to the inside?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Old School

Yeah.... kinda harebrained.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-15-2010 at 11:04 PM.