How To Mount Wall Cabinet Spaced Out From The Wall Ten Inches? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

How to mount wall cabinet spaced out from the wall ten inches?

First time cabinet installer...

I am planning to mount a 36w x 24d x 21h cabinet above the fridge. I want to space it out from the wall about 10 inches to bring it flush with the front of the fridge. I am doing the same with a 96x24x24 pantry cabinet that goes right next to it. There's a wall on the other side of the fridge.

I was planning to mount 2x4 pieces flat on the wall behind both cabinets to take up that space and screw them into the studs. This stack of 2x4s will be 6 boards deep (thick).

Is there a more efficient way to do this and still have it be just as strong (or strong enough)?

thanks
Jimmy

Advertisement

mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Need more info but is there a wall next to the pantry cabinet you are installing. If so, then install the pantry screwing it to the wall next to it and not the back wall. Then install the fridge cabinet to the pantry and to the wall next to it. A picture would help. You do not need to install cabinets to the back wall if you can fasten them to a wall or cabinet from the sides.

Advertisement

Jmdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
DIYer

Starting from the left I have the following on the wall.

Wood framed wall, 36" wide cabinet over the fridge, then the 24" wide pantry, then a 30" wide wall cabinet, then a 42" wide wall cabinet.

The fridge cabinet and the pantry will be pulled forward ten inches. The next two cabinets will be back against the wall.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

This will give you an idea of how I mounted a small refrigerator cabinet on two sheets of plywood that went on either side of the fridge.

You may get some ideas from this.

The pink on top was to mount the crown trim to.

The center drawing is a back view from a little below.
Attached Thumbnails
How to mount wall cabinet spaced out from the wall ten inches?-82nd-1.jpg   How to mount wall cabinet spaced out from the wall ten inches?-82nd-2.jpg   How to mount wall cabinet spaced out from the wall ten inches?-82nd-3.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 11-13-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #5

You can mount the cabinets to each other given your description. Leave the void in the back 10".
Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
DIYer

Ok, that will save some work.

What kind of hardware will be needed? How many screws? This is a decent size cabinet so I'm concerned about supporting it. My cabinet sides are half inch plywood. I saw in a video online that the cabinet to cabinet screws can go just behind the face frame so they are hidden. Will 1 inch screws with washers do it? 2.5 to 3 inch screws into the side wall sound right?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

You want to screw from the back of the face frame in the corner of one cabinet, into the side of the face frame of the next cabinet. Be sure they are flush to each other, clamping them together will help. Use a number 8 2" or 2 1/2" wood screw, no washers. Drywall type screw is perfect. If the cabinet has 1/2" sides use a 3/4 drywall or #8 screw through the sides after the face frames are attached. Don't use too many screws. 2 for the face frame 1 at the top and one at the bottom is fine. If you need more help just ask.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
DIYer

Still a little fuzzy.

The face frame (assuming I understand the terminology) is 1 1/2" wide (looking at the front of the cabinet). The cabinet side panel is 1/2" thick.

Am I screwing through the face frame itself so the heads are visible OR am I screwing through the side panel just behind the face frame hiding the screw head (unless you stick your head inside the cabinet)?

If I go through the face frame 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 " screws sound right. If I am just screwing through the sides then a 1" screw would be the maximum length, right?

Just found a video where the guy screws the cabinets together through the face frame (he calls them stiles) and he hides the screw heads under the cabinet hinges. That sounds like a nifty idea!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_cobra View Post
Still a little fuzzy.

The face frame (assuming I understand the terminology) is 1 1/2" wide (looking at the front of the cabinet). The cabinet side panel is 1/2" thick.

Am I screwing through the face frame itself so the heads are visible OR am I screwing through the side panel just behind the face frame hiding the screw head (unless you stick your head inside the cabinet)? It will probably work out best if you screw several 1" screws diagonally into the corner back inside the stile piece... all the way around the corner on the sides, where the front stile and the side wall of the cabinet meet. Do this on each side. The screws will be completely hidden around those corners.

If I go through the face frame 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 " screws sound right. If I am just screwing through the sides then a 1" screw would be the maximum length, right?

Just found a video where the guy screws the cabinets together through the face frame (he calls them stiles) and he hides the screw heads under the cabinet hinges. That sounds like a nifty idea! This will likely require that you drill a hole first, and cluntersink it so the screw head will finish out flush with the surface of the wood Otherwise it is very easy to split the wood of the stile. (I usually do it this way, myself........ although the first method above is easier.)
Either way you do it, you are going to have to make sure the fronts all finish out flush after the screws are tightened. This is best done by very firmly clamping the front stiles of all adjoining cabinets to each other before you set any screws.

Last edited by Willie T; 11-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

I would not screw from one face frame to another. Too Ricky to split the first face frame and pre drilling won't help. You said it right. Screw from the first cabinet directly behind the face frame into the next cabinet face frame. 2" or large screws to be sure you have plenty of threads. They will only be visible by sticking your head in. Be sure to clamp tightly to hold the frame flush. You need 2 screws , don't go crazy it doesn't hold better with more screw and there is a risk you will not sit flush.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

2x4 screwed to ceiling behind cabinet/s. Screw cabinet into 2x4. Also screw thru the top of the cabinet into ceiling joists, and into side wall. also, place a spacer between the fridge cab and the pantry cab and use screws from both sides. Basically, your stress on the cabinet is mostly straight down. If you can evenly spread your fasteners into a solid material, it won't budge.
Frame to frame fastening is more for cosmetic purposes to eliminate a gap.

Advertisement

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote