Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to mount cabinets on a crooked floor?

Hi,
I have a question about my kitchen cabinets (the base cabinets). We bought some Kraftmaid from Home Depot. They're in an "L" configuration. If you think of the "L" has having a vertical side and a horizontal side, then the vertical side of the L is parallel to the external wall of the house. The horizontal side is against the internal wall which, naturally, is perpendicular to the external wall. The problem is, our 80-year-old house sags in the middle, so the end of the horizontal side of the L is 1.5 inches lower than the top of the vertical side.

Our contractor dealt with this by cutting the cabinets at the top of the vertical side short by 1.5". Now we have a level countertop :-).

Question 1: Is this the proper approach to the problem?

The reason I ask is because we're soon to install a GE slide-in range that is supposed to go along the vertical side of the L. This range calls for a cabinet + counter height of between 35.75 - 36.5". Our cabinet + counter height will be 34-5/8" high.

Question 2: Can you think of anything we could do to solve this situation? (maybe I don't have to necessarily believe GE...)

Due to various errors and choices made by our contractors, I'm not confident of their ability to solve some issues. So I'd like to get as educated as I can. Thanks.
-Mike Schwager

Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
A Builder & Plumber

I would have to disagree about his choice of fitting your cabinets. I would rather use shims and then use a base molding to cover the shims around the cabinet because you may run into trouble getting appliances to fit, mostly dishwashers, your range should be ok, may stick up above the counter top just a tad. And for some education? Get several contractors to look, then judge them by their work history, not their price, old saying is "You get what you pay for". Thats not to say all the cheap guys are bad, but just check out their refrences.

Last edited by Oldman; 05-09-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the range is going to work... it's a slide in, which means an edge on the range is supposed to rest on the counter and make it look builtin.

Agreed about the need to get several folks in. We did our due diligence, but somehow whatever they had done before is not what they're doing now. :-( I think the crew changes from time to time, and the knowledge level fluctuates. In future jobs we'll probably want to know who is actually going to be driving the nails and so on.

Interestingly, the work is being done in Oak Park, IL, which is notorious for its highend rehabs and such. I've even heard of horror stories with the highend people... it's a tough world out there. Our contractors came in at a good price, I wouldn't say cheap (comparatively).
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Usually when one installs kitchen cabinets, the cabinets are leveled with a shim. You find the high spot of the floor and then use the high spot as the height of the cabinets. The high spot is then used to draw a level line on the walls where the base cabinets will be installed. All cabinets that are below the level line (high spot) are then shimmed up to the level line. The shims that are placed between the floor and the cabinet will be hidden with the base molding.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Never heard of anyone cutting the cabinets down to the floor. Now I guess you can get them back to lift them 1-1/2" and hide it behind base. Good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Why is the floor off by 1.5 inches? Is there a structural problem?
Can the floor joists be raised to be closer to level?

1.5 inch drop is quite a bit.

How could the cabinet guy not realize the 1.5 drop before he put the cabinets in?

He should have been able to correct the problem before he started.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
A Builder & Plumber

(REDLINE :How could the cabinet guy not realize the 1.5 drop before he put the cabinets in?)
Answer. The last job he was on the floor was tilted1-1/2" in the opposite direction, thus causing the marble(s) in his head to tilt to that direction. The sawdust between his ears then stoped the marble(s) from re centering themselves causing his body to stay tilted in that direction. Upon reaching the new job since he was tilted 1-1/2" everyting appeared plumb and level.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Ha Ha, Oldman, tks for that! :D
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think it's been already mentioned, but the solution is easy:
You need to raise that unit or units back up 1.5 inches to get your appliances under the counter tops.

Cut some 1.5 inch rips of same thickess stock. Attach these along the top (Between the counter top and the cabinet sides with the method below or:

You will have to remove the cabinets if they are already attached to the walls. It should not be a problem if he (C) installed them properly with screws into the back and wall.
You may be able to set the base cabinet unit on it's side or even on it's top and add the filler rips (with wood glue) with a finish nail gun on the bottom of the unit bases = 2 to 2.5 inch nails straight in.

If it is stained wood. Try to match the stain. If it is another material, obviously try to match it. If it has a laminate on it, you can get a new laminate strip piece and apply it right over the toe-kick area of the added stock peice and cabinet base.

Place the unit back to it's original set-in area .....essentially 'dry-fitting' all components. IF - the cabinet base now has a space on it's vertical side (away form the wall). Try to add some kind of decorative corner trim...like a quarter round. (You can get these in different thicknesses)

As was said....It is common knowledge in the industry that you always SHIM - up a cabinet base to make it level. I'm surprised at your GC's solution...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-14-2006 at 08:15 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline
Why is the floor off by 1.5 inches? Is there a structural problem?
Can the floor joists be raised to be closer to level?

1.5 inch drop is quite a bit.

How could the cabinet guy not realize the 1.5 drop before he put the cabinets in?

He should have been able to correct the problem before he started.
To straighten out a floor of an older house: Generally is not included in a cabinet installation budget.
Common understanding in the industry: Unless the H.O. has hired us to straighten out their structure, it is not included in the budget.
"You DON'T straighten" out a crooked wall or floor while installing other things: Like doors, windows, trim work, cabinets, etc...if these are what you were hired to install.
If the H.O. hired you to do straightening (plum and squaring)and leveling floors out, then, that is a different and more expensive issue. ALOT more Time, not to mention materials are involved.

We are currently at one job, where we did straigten out one floor. (1970's Addition to a home) We had to:
1.) Determine why the floor was sagging. (Main carrying beam)
2.) Come up with an estimate for the repairs.
3.) Determine if any other damage would be incurred by raising that 1st floor up. (Structurally and floorwise - Example: if there were ceramic tile work on that floor above, we were raising or above it - cracks, pops.....ruined)
4.) We had to apply for and get a structual building work permit.
5.) Set a string at level and start a slow raise up, while 'listening' very carefully....
5.) We had to jack hammer the basement floor, set up and poor a new footing under the area to be jacked, in order to properly install a new lalley column.
6.) We additionally added 2 same width LVL's onto each side of the carrying beam to sister it up. Attached with Construction adhesive, nails and then long lag screws and carriage bolts.
7.)Get the certified re-inspection.

8.)Then, only then, did we begin the rest of the remodeling....

That is "all" it took to 'raise up' and fix the problem....in order to continue with other work there....

That is no throw-in, prep. work or simple thing in order to get a cabinet to look right.....Things like that add $$$$ to a budget.....
That's up to the H.O. to decide on doing, many don't, if there are no structual dangers to the slight sag or tilt (Especially on an older, 'settled' home)

(BTW -I am not at all defending the GC's Method of Cutting the cabinet to get it level, I still say he should have shimmed it....)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-14-2006 at 10:11 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

redline has it dead-on. I'd be all over the guy that cut the boxes for replacements. You shouldn't have to pay for his ignorance.

what olman says makes sense too........sort of:D
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
registered

Rewards Points: 514

I have never heard of lower cabinets being cut. Everybody knows you shim them and then the shims are hidden with a molden that comes with the cabinets. 1.5 is a large amount between the highend and lowend of room. You might want to crawl down in your crawl space and see what is going on under that floor.

Last edited by 747; 05-15-2006 at 12:29 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Whoever your installer was he must not know what shims are.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, 1-1/2" is a lot of slopage, and the center of our house is sagging compared to the walls. But it's an 80-year-old duplex ("2-flat" in Chicago-speak), and we're not going to spend oodles of cash to make sure the place is straight... as a matter of fact, this was about the straightest place we saw during our house hunting days! These 80-, 90-, and 100-year-old Chicago brick homes are pretty droopy, a lot like the proverbial little old lady. But there's still a lot of spunk to 'em... we hope!

We had a meeting with our Contractor the other day. We're not so happy right now, even though he will be shimming up the cabinets. (there's other issues...) The foreman, btw, has 10 years of experience and claims to have done all his cabinetry by the "cutting" method. The idea that there exists paneling, molding, or toe kick to cover the gap at the bottom of a shimmed cabinet seemed to be pretty novel to him.

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Not that it would probably matter to him, but if he were to contact Louis and Company he would find cabinet 'levelers' that mount to the bottom of the cabinet and allow for adjustments to be made, including raising the cabinet. Of course, these are refined products...for refined installers...and from what I read, he will probably just use 2x4's instead. :D

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote