Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

How to measure for a miter cut.

I am trying to figure out how measure the miter cut for the molding that will be going up my stair and will join the molding to the floor at the top. I hope that makes sense.
I don't know how to get the measurement for the miter cut.
Please help...
Thanks

deniseriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Draw a line parallel to the landing floor on the wall say 3" off the floor.

Then draw a line that parallels the stairs that intersects the first line (You can lay a straight edge on the stair treads at an angle to get the line drawn).

Measure the angle the two lines make and divide the degrees in half.

There are your two miter measurements.

-But- There are more than one way to do it, that was just one.

If you have baseboard on each stair running parallel to the tread then it is a different type of transition but the same type of scenario with drawing the lines would apply, just more lines in different locations.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
DIY staff

Use an adjustable angle tool to determine the actual angle--Your miter angle is 1/2 of that---

The brainless method that works for me---using the adjustable angle--fold a sheet of paper to match the actual angle needed---then fold that in half to get the miter angle--use the paper to set the chopsaw--
Cut a test piece if you are skeptical- then cut your trim.
Google Image Result for http://www.woodville.co.nz/images/dcp00272.jpg
Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Buying the first round

I concur with Mike, his way is easy. If you don't have an adjustable bevel square buy one. It's probably one of my best tools in my quiver. Very easy to transfer angles very accurately, and you don't need to crunch any numbers.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is about the easiest way I know. I often use it on the job.

Take two equal width boards (in this case I'm showing two 12" pieces of 1 x 4)

Shove them both into the corner of the room, one on top of the other. Make sure the points are matching against the wall (or the outside of the turn).

Draw a line where they cross one another (LINE #1)
Take the top piece away.

Now draw a line from the point of the remaining piece (in this case the RED one) to where you drew LINE #1.

This will be LINE #2.

Take this piece of wood to your miter saw and place it against the fence.

Turn your saw till the blade slot lines up exactly with the point at the fence side of the wood and LINE #1 on the outside.

Read what the scale on the front of your saw says. That is the angle of your cut.

If you have extra wood, and you want to, you can test this angle by going ahead and cutting the wood. It should exactly follow LINE #2. If it's off a taste, make adjustments to get the cut perfectly lined up along LINE #2, and you will have the precise angle.

As is fairly obvious, I have shown a normal 90 degree corner. And line #2 is, of course, 45 degrees.

The best thing about this method is that you don't have to have ANY angle measuring tools except the scale on your saw. In fact, even if you couldn't read that scale (say, it was scratched off or had a blob of paint on it) the angle would still be perfect if your blade is cutting right along LINE #2.
Attached Thumbnails
How to measure for a miter cut.-angle-marker.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 03-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Dave88LX (10-25-2013)
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
DIY staff

That's slick! I'll try that next job!--Thanks.--Mike--
Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
uva uvam videndo variafit

Interesting technique Willy
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

Try one of these. Doesn't get any more simpler or precise. I have the aluminum one. Made in USA also.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/starrett/prot505a.html
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
DIY staff

Thanks,Firehawk---that's a Starrett--and a good price-----That's going on my wish list.--Mike-
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Buying the first round

That's a neat tool by Starret.

Here's another called the "MITER-MASTER PLUS 16" ( I believe there is an 11" also)

http://www.amazon.com/QUINT-GRAPHICS...0025399&sr=8-1

It's a pretty neat tool and I purchased one when they first came out about two years ago. I purchased it with the intent of giving it to guys working for me that are not up on the math of it all so to "Cut" down on mistakes.
It's plastic, but very high quality bomb proof plastic.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
This is about the easiest way I know. I often use it on the job.

Take two equal width boards (in this case I'm showing two 12" pieces of 1 x 4)

Shove them both into the corner of the room, one on top of the other. Make sure the points are matching against the wall (or the outside of the turn).

Draw a line where they cross one another (LINE #1)
Take the top piece away.

Now draw a line from the point of the remaining piece (in this case the RED one) to where you drew LINE #1.

This will be LINE #2.

Take this piece of wood to your miter saw and place it against the fence.

Turn your saw till the blade slot lines up exactly with the point at the fence side of the wood and LINE #1 on the outside.

Read what the scale on the front of your saw says. That is the angle of your cut.

If you have extra wood, and you want to, you can test this angle by going ahead and cutting the wood. It should exactly follow LINE #2. If it's off a taste, make adjustments to get the cut perfectly lined up along LINE #2, and you will have the precise angle.

As is fairly obvious, I have shown a normal 90 degree corner. And line #2 is, of course, 45 degrees.

The best thing about this method is that you don't have to have ANY angle measuring tools except the scale on your saw. In fact, even if you couldn't read that scale (say, it was scratched off or had a blob of paint on it) the angle would still be perfect if your blade is cutting right along LINE #2.
Nice drawing there Willie. Did you do that in sketchup?
kcremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #12

Willy, curious how well this works with outside corners? I'll have to give this a shot the next time I'm doing trim work. I'll admit that I just approximate the angle then cut a few scraps and adjust until it
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #13

Willie's method is called "Bisecting",meaning to cut in 1/2. I remember learning how to do it as a apprentice carpenter. I remember thinking wow that's pretty cool. My foreman told me I should of learned how to do it in grade school. Well guess what maybe I did but never really thought it had anything to do with building......lol....

You can bisect angles on anything from wall plates,roof pitch,trim,siding,flooring,siding,facia,etc. The only angle finders I remember yrs a go was a bevel square,but you still need to use Willie's demonstration to transfer the desired angle to your material. Angle finders like the Starrett tools help to save time and aid for the DIYer novice and the PRO. Either technique you use there is still trial and error involved. When a compound angle crown molding chart indicates for example 59.4 miter angle & 47.8 blade tilt how does the end-user know where .4 & .8 is on the miter saw. The same thing happens if you use a digital angle or manual angle finder.

There is trial and error involved in everything.
Gizmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoman View Post
Willie's method is called "Bisecting",meaning to cut in 1/2. I remember learning how to do it as a apprentice carpenter. I remember thinking wow that's pretty cool. My foreman told me I should of learned how to do it in grade school. Well guess what maybe I did but never really thought it had anything to do with building......lol....

You can bisect angles on anything from wall plates,roof pitch,trim,siding,flooring,siding,facia,etc. The only angle finders I remember yrs a go was a bevel square,but you still need to use Willie's demonstration to transfer the desired angle to your material. Angle finders like the Starrett tools help to save time and aid for the DIYer novice and the PRO. Either technique you use there is still trial and error involved. When a compound angle crown molding chart indicates for example 59.4 miter angle & 47.8 blade tilt how does the end-user know where .4 & .8 is on the miter saw. The same thing happens if you use a digital angle or manual angle finder.

There is trial and error involved in everything.
You made me smile! I also have an angle reader.... and I can hardly distinguish anything much past a half a degree, let alone accurately set it on the miter saw gauge.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
Old School

Yes, it was done with S/U. And "Yes", it works the same way on outside corners.