DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   How many screws to mount a wall cabinet? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/how-many-screws-mount-wall-cabinet-123276/)

AzJazz 11-13-2011 02:56 AM

How many screws to mount a wall cabinet?
 
I have a wall cabinet that is 39"W x 42"H, and weighs around 100 pounds or so (without anything in it yet).

How many #10 x 2.5" zinc wood screws do I need to use to mount it securely to the wall? I'll be screwing into the studs, as long as I measured & marked correctly. :)

Thanks,

AzJazz

oh'mike 11-13-2011 04:51 AM

6 to 8 will do it---every stud---two screws--one top and bottom

packer_rich 11-13-2011 06:58 AM

Is the cabinet made of cast iron? Seems like a lot of weight for a cabinet. Make sure you screw through the reinforced portion of the cabinet.

DangerMouse 11-13-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packer_rich (Post 769966)
Is the cabinet made of cast iron? Seems like a lot of weight for a cabinet.

That's what I was thinking too. If it weighs that much, I'd use around a dozen.... long screws.... into the studs...

DM

woodworkbykirk 11-13-2011 09:56 AM

based on the weight either the cabinet is made of mdf or will be holding quite a bit of weight.

packer_rich 11-13-2011 10:40 AM

weighs around 100 pounds or so (without anything in it yet). That might be lead reinforced MDF.

AzJazz 11-13-2011 10:59 AM

Well, I was just guessing earlier, but actually I wasn't that far off:

Cabinet box: 47 lbs.
Maple doors: 9 lbs x (2) = 18 lbs.
Shelves: 8 lbs. x (3) = 24 lbs.

So, I figure that the cabinet comes in at somewhere around 89 lbs (empty).

The cabinet is 42" high. I don't know if that is unusual, and would explain the extra weight.

The sides and shelves appear to be a good quality MDF. The facings and doors are solid maple.

The maple is a pain in the a$$ to drill through, but it sure is gorgeous. :)

BTW, I only have 2 studs to mount on. They had 19" between the studs in this area of my laundry room, for some reason.

I've looked at the cabinets that are already in the house that were installed by the builder (by the same model/manufacturer). I may be missing something, but it looks like some of the cabinets are mounted with only 4 screws, even some of the 45" wide cabinets.

Maybe they have some of the screws behind some of the shelves? Or maybe 4 is enough?

DangerMouse 11-13-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzJazz (Post 770199)
good quality MDF.

That seems to me an oxymoron. I hate that stuff. :laughing:
(I like solid maple though. :) )

DM

packer_rich 11-13-2011 12:32 PM

If you look at the back of the cabinet from the outside, do you see any strips of wood? Usually 1x4. These will be the only place you can screw thru. If the back of the cabinet is solid MDF keep the screws near the top and bottom edges. Is there a reveal underneath at the rear where you could add an extra screw? That would add a safety measure.

Jmdesign 11-13-2011 12:53 PM

If it is a solid mdf cabinet you should have a 3" nailer on the top and bottom of the inside of the cabinet. Use 2 #8 3" screws on the top and 2 on the bottom to screw into the studs. Should hold just fine. Does it have a nailer?

epson 11-13-2011 02:08 PM

you can also use a french cleat to attach your cabinets to the wall.


http://forum.bacrallies.com/blahdocs...t_jpg_9324.jpg

AzJazz 11-13-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMouse (Post 770204)
That seems to me an oxymoron. I hate that stuff. :laughing:
(I like solid maple though. :) )

DM

I know. But, I've seen worse MDF that chips/crumbles easily. I change my statement from "good quality MDF" to "bearable quality MDF".

Quote:

Originally Posted by packer_rich (Post 770247)
If you look at the back of the cabinet from the outside, do you see any strips of wood? Usually 1x4. These will be the only place you can screw thru. If the back of the cabinet is solid MDF keep the screws near the top and bottom edges. Is there a reveal underneath at the rear where you could add an extra screw? That would add a safety measure.

The back of the cabinet was solid MDF. I followed your advice, and mounted the cabinet with a total of 6 screws in the two studs.

There was a slightly longer than 1" MDF surround on the top & bottom of the cabinet that was outside of the cabinet interior. I ran two screws through the back rail at the top. I then ran two screws near the top and two screws near the bottom inside the cabinet, using finishing (cup) washers to get more head surface area to hold the cabinet.

Definitely not a professional installation by me, but I'm definitely not a professional :)

That said, the cabinet is spot-on level, shimmed properly, and seems rock-solid. All I have left is to cut a couple of quarter-round trim pieces, and my first cabinet mounting will be complete.

I didn't make any mistakes or lose any blood this time, either. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

Ron6519 11-14-2011 02:49 PM

You don't mention if the cabinet is being mounted directly to the studs or through a wall covering like 1/2" sheetrock and then into the stud.
For that weight cabinet, I'd be installing blocking inside the wall so the 2 stud issue is moot.
Going through 1/2" sheetrock, I'd be using at least 6, 3" screws with a washer type head. Eight if the contents were also heavy.

AzJazz 11-14-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 771059)
You don't mention if the cabinet is being mounted directly to the studs or through a wall covering like 1/2" sheetrock and then into the stud.
For that weight cabinet, I'd be installing blocking inside the wall so the 2 stud issue is moot.
Going through 1/2" sheetrock, I'd be using at least 6, 3" screws with a washer type head. Eight if the contents were also heavy.

Thanks, Ron -

That's a very good point - I'm going through the sheetrock, so I guess I'll be buying some 3" washer-head screws. I don't expect the cabinet contents to be too heavy, so I'll just replace my 6 existing screws, one at a time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved