DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How long to put up crown molding? How much furniture to move?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  chrisBC 
#1 ·
About how long (in days) would a professional need to put up crown molding in a typical 1300 sq. ft. condo?

This is a pretty basic space. For example, in the entire downstairs, there are only 12 inside corners and six outside corners.

Upstairs is about the same. I'm not putting crown in the stairwell or the bathrooms.

#2 ·
That's a tough one to answer--here's why--

Condos often have concrete ceilings---special blocking might be required.

Condos sometimes require that equipment be set up far away from the actual work area--adding a lot of wasted time to cutting.

Crown molding is not all the same---how big? paint grade or stain?

How much time will be needed to protect your home and furnishings.

Will your elevator take 16 foot lengths of trim?

To many variables for an answer from the internet.----Mike----

Reactions: chrisBC
#5 ·
Make a few calls---Finding a trim carpenter--look at the Hardwood /millwork suppliers.

Ask a painter---They get to see (and fix) a lot of carpenters work---they know who is good (and who is not)

Good luck.---Mike---

#13 ·
Who ever you choose to hire, ask him if he is going to fill the joints using caulking, if he says yes, show him the door. Anyone worth hiring will not need it. Spent 4 days removing caulking from a small condo job the guy before me ( cheaper price) did. Ended up costing her twice as much. I think the guy must of used 3 tubes of caulking and his elbow to apply it, NASTY job.

#14 · (Edited)
depends too if you'd like this person to paint the trim, fill the nail holes, and caulk the edges (for a nicer finish)

often this detail stuff will really make it stand out, and it's worth getting a quality job. This stuff will take time on its own, it is good to clarify before hand what is getting done for your money, so no confusion later on.

Personally I like doing all the finishing on my trim work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.