Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

How to layout sheathing on a 10' wall?

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner working on a shed project and just hit my next stumbling project. My shed is roughly 10'x10' with 8' tall walls. So, I basically have 320 sq. ft. of wall to cover. So I've focused on layouts that use 10 sheets of OSB. Thus far, I've considered laying out the sheets vertically, 4', 4', and 2', as one option. The other is horizontal method, would be a 8' and 2' strip and a 4' and 6' strip. From what I read, it sounds like horizontal is much stronger which makes sense. For my horizontal, option I was concerned about the small 2' x 4' section and having to make 6 cuts vs 2 with the vertical approach. So, my question is which is the better option or have I overlooked something better?

Thanks

S
mklein49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #2

why not go 8' vertical? studs at 24" o.c.?

just a thought ..... good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Jack of all Trades

I don't know if its a standard but whenever I layout sheet goods the long edge always goes perpendicular. I was 'taught' to NEVER "stand" your sheet up. Without know the exact answer as to why I can make an educated guess and say it has to do with stability. Same way you might make a cross brace as a support rather than a straight brace. Make sense?

Unfortunately you're going to have to go with a 4' 4' & 2' don't forget to reverse that pattern when you hang the next course of sheathing. You don't want overlapping seams!

hope this helps...just my $0.02

Al C
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

the only time I consider putting sheathing sideways is on a gable wall and not always then. sheathing installed vertically works better and provides lateral support
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
why not go 8' vertical? studs at 24" o.c.?

just a thought ..... good luck!
I have already framed the walls 16" o.c.. I think I would still be ok going 8' vertical, though.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestooshort81 View Post
I don't know if its a standard but whenever I layout sheet goods the long edge always goes perpendicular. I was 'taught' to NEVER "stand" your sheet up. Without know the exact answer as to why I can make an educated guess and say it has to do with stability. Same way you might make a cross brace as a support rather than a straight brace. Make sense?

Unfortunately you're going to have to go with a 4' 4' & 2' don't forget to reverse that pattern when you hang the next course of sheathing. You don't want overlapping seams!

hope this helps...just my $0.02

Al C
I was thinking 8' and 2' on the base course and 4' and 6' on the top course. What do you think of that approach?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

The American Wood Council has determined it does not matter whether your sheathing is laid horizontal or vertical when it comes to shear strength.

shear strength comes from nailing the edges of the sheathing into the studs (not in the field of the sheet).

you get more panel edges aligned with studs when the panel is installed vertical. if the panel is installed horizontal you'd need to install blocking along the panel edges to be able to install the same number of nails.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

going horizontal with sheets locks more studs together to make fora stronger wall though. vertical sheets are stronger for resistingt uplift
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

In 2002 I built a 10 x 12 storage building similar to what you might find on display at your local big box stores. I used the T-111 looking siding for the shed, and naturally it went up vertical (16" OC). So far we have been through two hurricanes (Rita and Ike) and I haven't even lost a shingle. Had lots of damage to the roof on our house but the little shed is still standing. Even the insurance guy was impressed. The fence has been replaced each time also.

Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-07-2013)