Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to frame new floor to match existing floor height

I am framing an addition over an existing garage. The current ceiling joists are 2x6 on top of a girder. The span is 22' (11' on each side of girder) supported in the middle with a girder made up of 3 2x8's. The existing 2nd floor on the house already goes over 1/2 of the garage and is built with 2x8's spanning the same 22' with the 3 2x8 girder supporting in the middle. I am just adding the addition the other 1/2 of the garage. Now, the plans drawn by a draftsman calls for the new floor to use 9 1/2 gpi's to be used for the new floor. This is not going to work as the new floor height would not match the existing floor height. The only was I see it working is to sister 2x8's to the existiing ceiling joisting making them floor joists. Also I assume I would have to rip down the new 2/8's to match the existing old 2x8's that actually measure 7 inches. Any one see any other options to make the new floor height match the old floor height?

taylor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 64

Without a picture and the drafters drawing I can only guess but if there is a difference in joist height from the old to the new then you make the floor right and have the offset in the ceiling below.

kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

Kwikron is right on.... you can end notch a 7-1/4" by 1-7/8" to a 5-3/8" only at the ends: http://arch.umd.edu/Tech/Structural_..._Guide_A11.pdf

When you notch, drill a relief hole so as not to start a split there: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021184090.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Gary,
When you speak of notching a 7-1/4" by 1-7/8" to a 5-3/8". Is that dimensional lumber, a 2x8?
Thanks for the great info!
taylor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

Yes, only solid wood, as the information stated. Never engineered lumber with different rules.

Be safe, Gary