Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

How to frame in decorative posts ?

I have 6 dated (1956) posts in my entry. I want to update them. They sit above a half wall and extend up to the ceiling. Is there a way to box them in and add trim to update? Not sure if I can remove them (may be holding up the ceiling).

kriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Retired Cabinetmaker

A picture is worth a thousand words

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

First, if you need to remove them, you can always put temporary steel jacks in place. I doubt they are load bearing but certainly do not be to blame for your house caving in on you if you pull them without matching support if they are! Pics would help.

You can, of course update the posts with trim if you have the room. You can also buy all sorts of extruded foam decorative posts now. If they happen to be structural, you might replace them with much thinner diameter steel and wrap something else "faux column" around the steel. Some of the extruded stuff is intricate but comes in halves you just seem together and prime and paint. With steel, and if structural, you could reduce the number of them by adding steel plate too I suspect.

Do you want to keep the half wall, by the way? The half wall and post thing was rather a popular fad that had its day in the eye of many of my clients. I have removed more than I can count over the years to open up floorplans. Now would be the time to think about it? I have mixed emotions. I almost expect to see them in a home of your vintage.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote