Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
I would remove the stop molding at the latch jamb and, if necessary, on the head jamb, too. Remove the nails left in the molding from the backside (so you won't damage the face). Pull or drive in any nails left in the jamb. To reinstall the molding, close the door and let the latch bolt engage, place the stop in position and press it lightly against the door, and install new nails in new locations. Punch the nails with a nails set, fill the holes, and touch up the finish.
Thanks, Epson. That sounds like a better solution than my idea of adding a filler strip to the stop molding -- and a LOT easier than moving the hinges. (I just realized that I've been using the word "jamb" sometimes when I meant "stop molding." I hope I didn't add any confusion...)

Thanks!

Objectivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario Canada, Toronto to be exact.
Posts: 1,373
Rewards Points: 500
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


No problem. Glad I could help…
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


You mention the hinges like they're an ethereal concept. All you do is measure them and see if they have the same offset. If they don't, shift them. If they do, the issue is elsewhere.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 500
Rewards Points: 500
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Ron is making sense here.

I've hung a lot of doors on the job, and i've encountered this problem, usually has to do with one jamb being out of line/out of plumb to the other, racking the door.

As this is a pre-hung door the LAST thing I would do is fool around with hinge offset, unless they don't match, which I would doubt.

Much easier anyways to simply remove the casing (interior) all you need to do is cut along edge, it's probably caulked and painted. Then pry off. Unscrew or cut nail, readjust or use new shims as needed, insert screw through hinge, reattach casing. Easier than trying to redo weatherstripping with shims.

Check jamb with level, move bottom opposite of where your problem is with your door/weatherstripping. Or wherever seems to be out of whack.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
Objectivist (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisBC View Post
Ron is making sense here.

I've hung a lot of doors on the job, and i've encountered this problem, usually has to do with one jamb being out of line/out of plumb to the other, racking the door.

As this is a pre-hung door the LAST thing I would do is fool around with hinge offset, unless they don't match, which I would doubt.

Much easier anyways to simply remove the casing (interior) all you need to do is cut along edge, it's probably caulked and painted. Then pry off. Unscrew or cut nail, readjust or use new shims as needed, insert screw through hinge, reattach casing. Easier than trying to redo weatherstripping with shims.

Check jamb with level, move bottom opposite of where your problem is with your door/weatherstripping. Or wherever seems to be out of whack.
Thanks, Chris. What you and Ron are saying makes a lot of sense. Adjusting the position of the entire door within the frame may be easier for you and Ron than shimming the jamb, but I know my limitations. I think I'm going to call in the guy who hung the door in the first place.

Thanks for your help, everybody!
Pete
Objectivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


That is an excellent idea.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


An 8' prehung unit usually has adjustable hinges. An allen wrench is required to make the adjustments. My door was warped, but I just threw the hinges a little and fixed it, but mine weren't adjustable
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
An 8' prehung unit usually has adjustable hinges. An allen wrench is required to make the adjustments. My door was warped, but I just threw the hinges a little and fixed it, but mine weren't adjustable
My door has unusual hinges in that the hinge pins appear to be non-removable. In place of the head of the hinge pin, there's a screw-on cap. I'm missing a couple of caps in another exterior door so I'd like to find replacement hinges (or better yet, just the caps), but no luck so far.

Anyway, are you saying that these hinges are adjustable? Can you give me a link to a description of how to do that?

Thanks!
Objectivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
My door has unusual hinges in that the hinge pins appear to be non-removable. In place of the head of the hinge pin, there's a screw-on cap. I'm missing a couple of caps in another exterior door so I'd like to find replacement hinges (or better yet, just the caps), but no luck so far.

Anyway, are you saying that these hinges are adjustable? Can you give me a link to a description of how to do that?

Thanks!
If it's an adjustable hinge, it would have a ring under the head of the pin with holes in it to insert an allen wrench or a round pin to torque it. From your description, it doesn't sound like they're adjustable hinges.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
If it's an adjustable hinge, it would have a ring under the head of the pin with holes in it to insert an allen wrench or a round pin to torque it. From your description, it doesn't sound like they're adjustable hinges.
I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure there's no adjustment. Do you know a source for such hinges?

The only one I can find is http://www.adjustabledoorhinge.com and it has only 1/8" of lateral play, which is only half what I need. I've looked for other adjustable hinges, especially with an allen wrench adjustment, but haven't found anything.

Thanks!

P.S. Ron and Chris have been notably silent on this suggestion -- do you guys think it will work?
Objectivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Objectivist View Post
I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure there's no adjustment. Do you know a source for such hinges?

The only one I can find is http://www.adjustabledoorhinge.com and it has only 1/8" of lateral play, which is only half what I need. I've looked for other adjustable hinges, especially with an allen wrench adjustment, but haven't found anything.

Thanks!

P.S. Ron and Chris have been notably silent on this suggestion -- do you guys think it will work?
The hinge would adjust towards the top of the strike side and....away from the bottom of the hinge side. Thus creating the same issue there.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

How to fix uneven gap between door and weatherstripping?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The hinge would adjust towards the top of the strike side and....away from the bottom of the hinge side. Thus creating the same issue there.
Ron
I think I finally understand. The problem is that the door is even on the hinge side and uneven on the strike side. If it were uneven on both sides, then getting an adjustable hinge wouldn't work because it would move the door in equally on both sides.

But in my case, the frame is racked. Fixing it properly means adjusting the frame. I could fix it improperly by shimming the stop molding. I could even fix it by adding thicker weatherstripping, which would be even uglier than shimming.

It's time to get a real carpenter on the job...

Thanks!

Objectivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door uneven weatherstrip


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.