Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

How to fix stairs, missing rail

Our stairs from the 1st to second floor are dangerous for young kids, you can literally walk from the steps off a closet.. pictures are attached..

We have no continuous or even a single hand rail from the top balcony to the 1st landing.

Stairs are already at the minimum width... 36"

How would you go about fixing this? I'm looking for all options and ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix stairs, missing rail-dsc_8490.jpg   How to fix stairs, missing rail-dsc_8492.jpg   How to fix stairs, missing rail-dsc_8493.jpg  

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

another note: we are already planning on replacing all the rails, balusters, treads and risers and converting to hard wood steps. right now the balusters are 6" apart, code requires max 4" here... so there is a lot of stuff already planned to be fixed so big changes aren't an issue, except if they are outrageously expensive ontop of the existing replacement costs *lol*

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

I look at those pictures and all I can see is what an eyesore that closet is (imo). Any chances of getting rid of it as part of the stair remodel?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I look at those pictures and all I can see is what an eyesore that closet is (imo). Any chances of getting rid of it as part of the stair remodel?
It's being considered... not sure why they designed the house this way, the stairs to the basement on the original plan had the same dumb closet but they never built it out down there

at the very least the closet needs rebuilt.. it's not even square! on the side with the thermostat / bell the bottom littearly bows out where the steps to the basement is to the far end of that wall there is a 3" curve to the wall on the bottom plate of the wall
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
+1 on getting rid of the closet, it looks totally out of place, it is the focal point as soon as you enter the room.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

even if I get rid of the closet though, it's a huge task..

the switch there is a 3-way and it's wires run in the floor joists 18ft away to the other switch and the ceiling in the basement was dry-walled and you'd need to either put a junction box somewhere to extend the line or rerun the line... the thermostat not such a big deal as the wire runs the opposite way so moving it back would actually give me more wire... and there is a few feet extra in the wall thinking that could happen someday... the door bell is in the same situation extra wire.

even if the closet went, I'd have to extend the stairs out a few inches to meet code for the rail so I don't encroach on the 36" minimum width... any ideas on how to do that? don't exactly want to have to reengineer the entire stair case since it's an L shape, moving it out would make odd issues with the platform landing area...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

These stairs are not to code, the inspector must have been asleep that day.

If the closet was removed you would just continue the rail system as it is at the bottom of the stairs. The framing for the closet against the stairs could be modified to be the structure for the rail system. It is really simple just a lot of work. As for the electrical, if you decide to remove the closet, you might make a new thread in the electrical forum.

Let us know which direction you wish to go and we will go from there.

Edit* There would be no problem with the mid landing by continuing the rail system as it is at the bottom of the stairs. I would suggest changing the rails at the top to side mount newels instead of top mounted so the rail and balusters would flow instead of jutting to the side.

Jim
Old 07-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
If the closet was removed you would just continue the rail system as it is at the bottom of the stairs. The framing for the closet against the stairs could be modified to be the structure for the rail system. It is really simple just a lot of work. As for the electrical, if you decide to remove the closet, you might make a new thread in the electrical forum.

Let us know which direction you wish to go and we will go from there.
ah, you mean like move the framing out from under the risers of the steps to be infront of the steps so I could create an angled wall and follow it down that way?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
ah, you mean like move the framing out from under the risers of the steps to be infront of the steps so I could create an angled wall and follow it down that way?
Actually you wouldn't remove the framing at all, you would just modify the wall of the closet next to the stairs. If you were to remove the trim work on the very bottom rail system you would find 2X4s cut on an angle with a 2X4 nailed flat down on top of the angle. If you had the wood removed on the bottom rail system you could pop a line up the closet wall and cut the studs to that angle, then add the top 2X4 and continue from there.

As you get on toward the top of the closet at the top of the steps you will see the wall does not extend up high enough so you would need to add 2X4s to bring the wall up to where it would need to be.

Jim
Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 586

Do you have any extra flooring?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Do you have any extra flooring?
flooring is getting replaced, despite looking OK in the picture, it's engineered hardwood that the top layer is delaminating off of in a bunch of locations... so that's not a concern