Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

How to fix broken step railing?

There is a set of wooden steps leading from the back door of our new house and the railing is broken. When you step out of the door there is a small (say 3'x3') deck with a railing to your left and in front of you. A short set (about three steps) goes down to the ground on your right with a railing.

Everything is wood and the railing in front of you and going down the steps are OK. The railing to your left is not attached to anything against the house and simply hangs down from the corner post.

There is a 2x4 post that is completely unattached. It looks like the 2x4 used to be attached to the deck against the house and the railing was attached to it. There are about fifty nails pounded into both the railing and the unattached post where someone seems to have tried to "quote" fix "unquote" the railing in the past.

I'm pretty sure I can detach the 3' section of railing from the corner post and remove all the nails (and patch with wood putty if required).

I then plan on using a couple of galvanized wood screws to secure the end of the rail that goes against the house to the unattached 2x4. I can then slide this into place and use a couple more screws to secure the rail to the corner post.

I'm not sure how to securely attach the 2x4 to the deck. It does not look like it was fastened to the side of the house in the past and I would prefer not to screw into the side of the house now. I can come up with a couple of screws from below but I'm not sure how stable the railing would be.

I've never done anything like this before so I'm pretty much guessing at everything! I think I can attach some pictures if that would help.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Robert

robertr4836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

Post some pictures please. I got lost somewhere in there...

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Post some pictures please. I got lost somewhere in there...
I'll take some when I get home and post them. By the time I got through describing my situation I think I realized that no one would have a clue what I was trying to describe!
robertr4836 is offline   Reply With Quote