Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 546

How to fasten new wall to existing drywall?

I am putting up a partition wall in my basement for my shop.
On one end the new wall butts up against existing drywall.

How do I fasten the two together? I suppose some drywall anchors would be adequate, but I wonder if there is a proper method. (Please don't tell me I have to rip the existing wall open, as that's not going to happen)

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

Well, if you don't want to open the existing wall, you might as well not put up the partition wall. You'll be drywalling the new wall anyway, so it's not a big deal to cut a piece out of the existing wall where the two will join.

You need to attach the new wall to the existing wall, and put nailer boards in place to hold the edge of the drywall. I suppose if you know exactly where the studs are, and are lucky enough that your partition wall is going to meet at a stud, you could possible affix the new wall to the existing stud through the drywall - but that's not really the right way to do it, IMO.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Well if u r lucky there could be a stud were u r going to put wall up to then u could nail into it through Sheetrock, if not mark where your wall is going to go draw add 1/4 in to each side level ip and mark both lines should have 4 in (if 2x4 wall) cut out sheet rock (since new wall and Sheetrock will cover your cut no problem) if stud is close to either side double or triple up to be able to nail new wall stud too. If totally in between cut 2x6 stud fuzz smaller than studs in wall (just to make easier to get in) slide in place nail to top an bottom plates the reason it's bigger you now have nailer for two cut sides of sheetrock
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 546

The exterior wall is attached to the concrete block basement wall. The new wall is attached to a steel Ibeam at the top and the concrete floor at the bottom. And of course the beam, floor, and wall are all pretty tight to each other. Its hard to see how either of them is going to move. So if the new wall is attached to the drywall of the old wall, what really is going to happen?

I am not being argumentative, I am just not sure what the problem is. If you could explain what you expect to happen, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Toller; 02-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Not much will happen since its anasrment u should be fine. Just over time things compress, settle, dry, bow etc so the proper way is to attach by framing. That being said I'd bd lying if I said I never did it the way u r saying
The Following User Says Thank You to kaschmid3 For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Meant basement