Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

How to drill into metal window header?

I think my window header is metal and it seems to go up about 4-5 inches from my window. I can't drill into it. I'm trying to hang curtains. I have tried wooden and metal drill bits (it might be wooden but i don't think so). What should i do? I got about an inch into it and then i can't get any further.

On second thought i might be having a problem drilling into studs.

My drill is a dewalt DW997 18v

thanks.

BrandonDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

A good metal bit will drill into it. Use a cobalt bit, not a wood bit, not a brad point bit, not a cheap bit from Sears or Home Depot and such. Drill first with a 1/8" bit or smaller, lubricate with a drop of cutting oil. Then drill the 3/16" you need for your screws.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

There's a good chance that you successively drilled through the 3/4 " of window bucking ( an easy-to-drill band of wood around the top and sides of your window) and are now hitting something harder. If it is a block construction home, that would now be concrete block. But some construction pine can seem as hard as cement.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

are you sure your not plugging up the twists on your bit?? Pull out,clean , and try again!!! Just in case IF its concrete switch to a mason bit, OR shorter screws
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
Whatamess

Sounds like you are way past the metal 1/4" - 3/8" thick and now need a hammer drill for concrete. Just a guess.
I have in the past drilled and tapped the metal so I could use machine screws.