Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

How do you fix nails holes in paintable base and casing "after" they are painted?

I have done a lot of reading on the process of preping modlings/casings for painting. I guess I am lucky because not all of my molding and casings have already been painted and I can make sure they are prepaired correctly. In many cases however the paint job has already been painted. This really looks bad and the nail holes are very visable. They either used nothing and just painted over the holes or use cauking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair this or is it best to just replace the affected areas?

thanks,
Jim

Darkwave Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Mod

How do you fix nails holes in paintable base and casing "after" they are painted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwave Master View Post
I have done a lot of reading on the process of preping modlings/casings for painting. I guess I am lucky because not all of my molding and casings have already been painted and I can make sure they are prepaired correctly. In many cases however the paint job has already been painted. This really looks bad and the nail holes are very visable. They either used nothing and just painted over the holes or use cauking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair this or is it best to just replace the affected areas?

thanks,
Jim
Fill the holes and another coat of paint.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Fill the holes and another coat of paint.
Yep. You can use drywall mud - if you have some on hand. Also, Durham's Wood Putty, or maybe even spackling compound.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades

Painters putty or glazing compound.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Mod

I like something I can sand (today).
Usually always have a partial bag of hot mud around, works great.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #6

DAP lightweight Spackle does a great job for me. Very easy to use,dries quick,sandable(and easily so). It'll make the holes invisible. By the way,Drywall mud is NOT the way to go.
white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by white29 View Post
DAP lightweight Spackle does a great job for me. Very easy to use,dries quick,sandable(and easily so). It'll make the holes invisible. By the way,Drywall mud is NOT the way to go.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

My experience has been the exact opposite. Not so much a love affair with drywall mud (as if that's actually possible), but a disgust at the worthlessness of lightweight Spackle.

Thanks!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

My experience has been the exact opposite. Not so much a love affair with drywall mud (as if that's actually possible), but a disgust at the worthlessness of lightweight Spackle.

Thanks!
I use the lightweight DAP too. DW mud may be too solvent in that application as opposed to mudded wall joints
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwave Master View Post

thanks,
Jim
You can buy nail hole filling crayons at the building center. They have a full range of colors.

You just run the crayon back and forth over the hole and the wax is deposited in the hole.
Then, any excess is wiped off with mineral spirits.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You can buy nail hole filling crayons at the building center. They have a full range of colors.

You just run the crayon back and forth over the hole and the wax is deposited in the hole.
Then, any excess is wiped off with mineral spirits.
Can you paint over those?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Can you paint over those?
In my case, I filled the holes in a natural, eurathane finished oak baseboard. I finished the wood and then filled the holes with suitable colored crayon.
Looking back, that was almost 10 years ago and there has been no problem.
I call them crayons, but they aren't the same as a childs crayon. Given time it seems to harden.
They are inexpensive, so I would suggest that you would buy one and try it out.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
40+yrs Paint Trades

The "crayons" are for varnished wood not painted. The correct filling is glazing putty or "Painters" putty. It's linseed oil and whiting and has been used to fill nail holes for centuries.

It stays pliable, doesn't dry out like muds or spackle, doesn't flash when you paint it, putty doesn't shrink, and it holds in the hole better than either of them.

You don't have to sand putty. Just run the ball over the hole until it's slightly over full and wipe off excess with your finger or flexible putty knife.

Painters also color putty on the job to match varnished woods and use like the crayons mentioned above.

When running trim we always carry a piece of putty stuck on the edge of the paint pot to fill holes.

Last edited by hoz49; 12-17-2010 at 08:26 PM.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote