DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   How do you fix nails holes in paintable base and casing "after" they are painted? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/how-do-you-fix-nails-holes-paintable-base-casing-after-they-painted-89002/)

Darkwave Master 12-07-2010 05:19 PM

How do you fix nails holes in paintable base and casing "after" they are painted?
 
I have done a lot of reading on the process of preping modlings/casings for painting. I guess I am lucky because not all of my molding and casings have already been painted and I can make sure they are prepaired correctly. In many cases however the paint job has already been painted. This really looks bad and the nail holes are very visable. They either used nothing and just painted over the holes or use cauking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair this or is it best to just replace the affected areas?

thanks,
Jim

kwikfishron 12-07-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwave Master (Post 547527)
I have done a lot of reading on the process of preping modlings/casings for painting. I guess I am lucky because not all of my molding and casings have already been painted and I can make sure they are prepaired correctly. In many cases however the paint job has already been painted. This really looks bad and the nail holes are very visable. They either used nothing and just painted over the holes or use cauking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair this or is it best to just replace the affected areas?

thanks,
Jim

Fill the holes and another coat of paint.:thumbsup:

DrHicks 12-07-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 547556)
Fill the holes and another coat of paint.:thumbsup:

Yep. You can use drywall mud - if you have some on hand. Also, Durham's Wood Putty, or maybe even spackling compound.

hoz49 12-08-2010 07:17 AM

Painters putty or glazing compound.

kwikfishron 12-08-2010 07:40 AM

I like something I can sand (today).
Usually always have a partial bag of hot mud around, works great.

white29 12-10-2010 05:40 AM

DAP lightweight Spackle does a great job for me. Very easy to use,dries quick,sandable(and easily so). It'll make the holes invisible. By the way,Drywall mud is NOT the way to go.:thumbsup:

DrHicks 12-10-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white29 (Post 548944)
DAP lightweight Spackle does a great job for me. Very easy to use,dries quick,sandable(and easily so). It'll make the holes invisible. By the way,Drywall mud is NOT the way to go.:thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

My experience has been the exact opposite. Not so much a love affair with drywall mud (as if that's actually possible), but a disgust at the worthlessness of lightweight Spackle.

Thanks!

mrgins 12-11-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 548963)
Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

My experience has been the exact opposite. Not so much a love affair with drywall mud (as if that's actually possible), but a disgust at the worthlessness of lightweight Spackle.

Thanks!

I use the lightweight DAP too. DW mud may be too solvent in that application as opposed to mudded wall joints

Wildie 12-16-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkwave Master (Post 547527)
I have done a lot of reading on the process of preping modlings/casings for painting. I guess I am lucky because not all of my molding and casings have already been painted and I can make sure they are prepaired correctly. In many cases however the paint job has already been painted. This really looks bad and the nail holes are very visable. They either used nothing and just painted over the holes or use cauking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair this or is it best to just replace the affected areas?

thanks,
Jim

You can buy nail hole filling crayons at the building center. They have a full range of colors.

You just run the crayon back and forth over the hole and the wax is deposited in the hole.
Then, any excess is wiped off with mineral spirits.

mrgins 12-17-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 552456)
You can buy nail hole filling crayons at the building center. They have a full range of colors.

You just run the crayon back and forth over the hole and the wax is deposited in the hole.
Then, any excess is wiped off with mineral spirits.

Can you paint over those?

Wildie 12-17-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgins (Post 552792)
Can you paint over those?

In my case, I filled the holes in a natural, eurathane finished oak baseboard. I finished the wood and then filled the holes with suitable colored crayon.
Looking back, that was almost 10 years ago and there has been no problem.
I call them crayons, but they aren't the same as a childs crayon. Given time it seems to harden.
They are inexpensive, so I would suggest that you would buy one and try it out.

hoz49 12-17-2010 08:14 PM

The "crayons" are for varnished wood not painted. The correct filling is glazing putty or "Painters" putty. It's linseed oil and whiting and has been used to fill nail holes for centuries.

It stays pliable, doesn't dry out like muds or spackle, doesn't flash when you paint it, putty doesn't shrink, and it holds in the hole better than either of them.

You don't have to sand putty. Just run the ball over the hole until it's slightly over full and wipe off excess with your finger or flexible putty knife.

Painters also color putty on the job to match varnished woods and use like the crayons mentioned above.

When running trim we always carry a piece of putty stuck on the edge of the paint pot to fill holes.

http://www.dap.com/images/products/120594.jpg

http://www.dap.com/images/products/12240.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved