DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   How do I repair an interior door that will not stay open? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/how-do-i-repair-interior-door-will-not-stay-open-145917/)

Lindavald 06-04-2012 07:18 AM

How do I repair an interior door that will not stay open?
 
The problem is, I try to open the door(s) all the way, but they try to swing back slowly to close. I need a simple solution to fix the problem.
Thanks for you help.
___________________
http://www.getridofbedbugsathome.com...d-of-bed-bugs/

joecaption 06-04-2012 07:23 AM

Remove a hinge pin and set it between 2, 2 X 4's and give it a tap with a hammer to just slightly bend it.

It's that or remove the door and rehang it plumb.

user1007 06-04-2012 07:35 AM

Doorstop?:yes:

hand drive 06-04-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindavald (Post 935871)
The problem is, I try to open the door(s) all the way, but they try to swing back slowly to close. I need a simple solution to fix the problem.
Thanks for you help.


Something for fixing the unclosed door from closing/opening on its own, as sdsester mentioned a door stop.There is a magnetic type door stop where part of it is mounted to the baseboard molding along the wall at floor level behind the door and the other part mounted to the door so that when the door was opened toward the wall the two pieces met. This was a heavy solid core door leading up to an unfinished bonus room and the stop held the door firmly in place.

the door stop part that attaches to the baseboard sticks out from the baseboard a few inches to allow distance for the door knob, sometimes this is a problem because it can be a toe stumper, ouch.

woody4249 06-05-2012 07:47 AM

There are a couple of things that might cause this.
First check......I am assuming the hinges are not a "Rising Butt Hinge"
These are intended to raise the door to lift it over carpet etc. As this action is like a spiral shoulder on the hinge, gravity will want to close the door after opening. Solution would be to replace the hinges with regular butt hinges.
Second......The door frame is out of plumb. If you have a removable stop, you can reposition the hinge so that the door is plumb. The stops can be reinstalled to fit the new door position. Leave the thickness of a credit card between the door and the stop for clearance.
If the stops are part of the jamb, you can still move the hinge out until the door is plumb, then an additional overlay stop should be installed to cover the gap.
If all the above fails, remove the door frame and reinstall correctly making sure that the frames are plumb and level.


PaliBob 06-05-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 935874)
Remove a hinge pin and set it between 2, 2 X 4's and give it a tap with a hammer to just slightly bend it...................

I'm with Joe except I just take the hinge pin outside and prop it at an angle between the curb and the gutter, then give it a whack.

21boat 06-08-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaliBob (Post 936951)
I'm with Joe except I just take the hinge pin outside and prop it at an angle between the curb and the gutter, then give it a whack.

Can’t believe I'm reading this....

OP
DON'T WHACK or bend HING pin, any strong binding of hinges/pins cause the pin to walk out and or causes stress on the hinge screws and you loose that. You’ll create a "Sprung hinge" effect and door may not shut/hit slam strip at all, and you will be buying more hinges.

That credit card measurement. NOT thick enough. Even in the Hollow metal door industries a metal door can expand and contract to close that credit card gap. Wood doors are worse swelling, not to mention too tight and the latch hits the strike plate hard, then more trouble.

Try changes swapping the hinge locations. Existing top hinge to middle and middle to bottom and bottom to top. Just by removing them and reinstalling them can cause enough different minuet alignment to get natural pin friction to stop your problem.

HartKyle83 06-08-2012 09:26 PM

I'm with with the crew that advises a small bend in the hinge pin. It will only take a very small bend to correct a door that closes slowly. You will not cause the hinge pin to walk or the screws to loosen. I will come fix the door myself if those things happen.

Willie T 06-08-2012 10:15 PM

I've done at least thirty or forty doors this way over the years. It's a gentle bend, it hurts nothing.

wkearney99 06-09-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand drive (Post 936547)
There is a magnetic type door stop where part of it is mounted to the baseboard molding along the wall at floor level behind the door and the other part mounted to the door so that when the door was opened toward the wall the two pieces met.

Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-.../dp/B000A7OOZ0

Went with one like that on one of my doors. It's a metal, all glass door in metal frame that used to be for an external entryway, but now has a 3-season glass room (installed by previous owners). Fixing the metal frame door wasn't really an option.

A nice feature is the part on the door is a socket with a spring inside the catch for the ball. This allows the door to be swung open harder against the catch without causing damage. I've got the magnetic post installed horizontally from the baseboard behind the door. Works great.

Solving the problem 'the right way' would require finding out where the door frame is out of level and fixing that. But this can be a lot of work as you can't just move one portion of the frame without there being potential issues on the other sides. As in, the hinge side of out of level, so you pop off the moldings on that side and re-shim it to get it level. This means the door is now likely to be a little farther over on the other side and might not have enough room to close properly.

So using a magnetic stop is sometimes a lot less trouble.

fixrite 06-09-2012 09:55 AM

I am with Willie Joe and Pali on this one. A slight tap with a hammer on the pin ( I do it on concrete) and there you have it. It is not as if the door is slamming shut, so in all my years of experience THIS is the most reasonable solution.:thumbup:

wkearney99 06-09-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixrite (Post 939702)
I am with Willie Joe and Pali on this one. A slight tap with a hammer on the pin ( I do it on concrete) and there you have it. It is not as if the door is slamming shut, so in all my years of experience THIS is the most reasonable solution.:thumbup:

Well, yeah, if all you're trying to do is make the door harder to close. Bending the pin will do that, it'll make that hinge stiffer to close and that might help keep the door from swinging closed as easily. Depends on how fast the door is swinging shut. If it's just a gradual creep, then a tighter hinge with a bent pin might be enough. That is until the hinge wears and the problem returns, or starts squeaking enough to drive you crazy.

fixrite 06-09-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 939727)
Well, yeah, if all you're trying to do is make the door harder to close. Bending the pin will do that, it'll make that hinge stiffer to close and that might help keep the door from swinging closed as easily. Depends on how fast the door is swinging shut. If it's just a gradual creep, then a tighter hinge with a bent pin might be enough. That is until the hinge wears and the problem returns, or starts squeaking enough to drive you crazy.

Well considering the doors that I have applied this to have been working perfectly for over 27 years I would say it is a no brainer that it is not only affective but lasts without any ill affects.:thumbsup: Hope you have a wonderful day.

Tom Struble 06-09-2012 12:20 PM

hinges and pins have been adjusted this way for centuries,they are for the most part not precision items..some are but most are just stamped out by the millions

Clutchcargo 06-09-2012 01:00 PM

I vote for the door stop only because this is the coolest doorstop I have ever seen.
http://static.neatoshop.com/images/p...-l.jpg?v=12402


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved