How Do I Remove These Gigantic Screws? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How Do I remove these gigantic screws?

The people I had living in this home without my permission decided to enclose the area around these sliding glass doors. They screwed this large piece of (decking?) wood into the metal frame of the sliding glass doors. I have tried a 7 amp drill to remove it and I have tried using a hacksaw to saw of the screws from in between the wood and the metal frame but that did not even seem to work a tiny bit. When using the drill, they do not move at all and some of them look to be nearly stripped now from trying.

Is there any tool I can use to get these off? Any advise please? This is very frustrating as I am trying to sell the home and it is an eye soar.

Advertisement

SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 522

Chip away the wood around it and clamp on with a vice grip?

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (08-02-2013), RWolff (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

You could try a drill/driver that has the impact mode. It is amazing what those suckers can do. I have the Dewalt 12 volt cordless model and it works great...as does it's sister, the regular cordless drill.
MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

Should have been using a drill driver.
I almost never use my drill any most.
A drill driver will drive screws, bolts, nuts, drill holes.
Those look like #3 not #2 heads so if you used the wrong bit and there rounded out I'd use one of these.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-drill...8&blockType=G8
Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you used the tool expressly made for doing this.... an "EZ-Out"? (Same as in Post #4)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-01-2013), ToolSeeker (08-01-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 350

Try a screw driver. A regular, old fashion, Phillips head screw driver. Insert the screw driver, turn as hard as you can with one hand while tapping the end with a hammer. Sort of a poor man's impact driver.
If that doesn't work, use a drill bit the same size as the screw head and just cut the screw away.
Davejss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,622

No doubt a drill driver was used to force the screws in rather than using the common slow old fashion way when people were proud of their work. Now your options are limited so go rent a drill driver. Be sure to take it back so the next unfortunate soul can correct something a high speed contractor screwed up.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,468

I agree it looks like #3 philips not a #2. Use the proper driver and they will either come out or break off.

Chipping the wood with a chisel and using vise grips is also a good option.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

I vote for the chipping the wood around the screw and vice grips, unless the screws are corroded in the metal they will either come out or snap off.
Wow amazing how someone would drill screws into a metal frame on a rental like that!

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
I vote for the chipping the wood around the screw and vice grips, unless the screws are corroded in the metal they will either come out or snap off.
Wow amazing how someone would drill screws into a metal frame on a rental like that!
Then you have not seen some of the Jack Legged stuff some renters do to places.

Lets see: Teach their kid to throw knives at the walls, rip out all the wiring in the house when they move out, rip out the appliances, cabinets, punch holes in walls, steal the fixtures (lights, faucets), Carpet, doors, punch holes in doors, walls, tear the roofing material off to let the roof deteriorate to the point, that it causes the inside ceilings to collapse on the floors. Add to that the floors rot from the water allowed to sit on it, from the rotted ceiling.

Bathroom floors rotted out, due to they decide not to use the shower curtain, or do not know what one is. Furnace torn apart, ac units missing or destroyed by their dogs peeing on them, or damaged by the renters or their kids ramming them with stuff, or kicking them in.

Should I go on?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Chip away the wood around it and clamp on with a vice grip?

B
Almost. If you cant unscrew them, just split the entire bord by driving a cats paw into the grain above each screw and rip it apart. You have to strike it hard, but you will have the board out in no time. Then you can grind off the screws flush with the finish.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by one cut View Post
Almost. If you cant unscrew them, just split the entire bord by driving a cats paw into the grain above each screw and rip it apart. You have to strike it hard, but you will have the board out in no time. Then you can grind off the screws flush with the finish.
Good way to go!! If you do not want to be pounding the paw in all the way around the frame you can score it lengthwise first with a circular saw. Fast, cheap and very professional!

OK, now don't hit the screws with the saw blade, set the saw blade so it is less than 1 1/2" wear safety glasses and hearing protection, work with the door closed, do not let tenants kids play with saw. Do not let tenant play with saw.
JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Another thing you can try is take a hole saw, and cut a hole around the offending screw. Then the whole board can be removed leaving only the "slug" of the hole with the screw still in it.

Once you get started, remove the pilot bit so it won't make a larger hole in the frame.

From there, it should be an easy task to saw off the screw using a sawzall, or grab it with some vice-grips to unscrew it.

OR split the slug using a wood chisel and then you should be able to remove the screw, or grind it off using an angle grinder....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
bbo (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Another thing you can try is take a hole saw, and cut a hole around the offending screw. Then the whole board can be removed leaving only the "slug" of the hole with the screw still in it.

Once you get started, remove the pilot bit so it won't make a larger hole in the frame.

From there, it should be an easy task to saw off the screw using a sawzall, or grab it with some vice-grips to unscrew it.

OR split the slug using a wood chisel and then you should be able to remove the screw, or grind it off using an angle grinder....
this gets my vote.

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote