How Do I Make These Shelves? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

how do I make these shelves?

so I need to make a set of shelves for my closet, it's a double wide and double deep that we made a walk in (it used to have a front bar and a back bar).

ANYWAY, so I have the end of the walking space and we'd like to put shelves there that fold up when not in use. I found this...

http://dornob.com/shelving-on-demand...-flip-up-down/

which looks awesome, but I'm curious how to make it since they don't seem to sell it. I don't fully understand how they're stopping the shelf from continuing down and supporting it. any ideas?

if not I'll need to go with folding shelf brackets from amazon which would work but have a bit of an industrial look that I'm trying to avoid if possible.

Thanks!

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Joe Average

Rewards Points: 10

In the second pic down you can see a little metal eye looking piece on side of shelf. My guess is that there is something like a ball bearing with spring behind it on the wall part that locks into that eye located on the shelf part.

The shelf itself could have a metal rod drilled through the base that allows it to swivel up and down. I don't know how they did it in pics, but one way for the shelf to stop is it would be recessed in the wall part. Imagine looking a the wall unit without shelves installed. Where each shelf would go there is a cut out in the unit, say 4" tall and about 1" deep. The shelf would slide in to the top of that cut and the wire rod would lock it in. Once in you couldn't push down on shelf because it is recessed. You could flip it up though because of the 4" space below that allows it to move.

Hope that is clear since I can't draw it.

Advertisement

qualls6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,168

I maybe would at least take a stab at it from the aspect of a cantilever, as in the stops being positioned on the wall such that when the shelf is folded down, the top of the shelf contacts the stop. This would require careful layout, and would put a significant load on the pivot points, but I would think that 10-15 minutes with a piece of paper and pencil would tell you what you need to do, and another 30 minutes with some scrap could confirm the theory, so, again, I might be inclined to try that.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

You could do something based on these Ikea tables.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713/
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Joe Average

Just noticed that in 4th picture down you can see they use a little knob in the back corner as a stopper for the flipped shelf.
qualls6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualls6 View Post
Just noticed that in 4th picture down you can see they use a little knob in the back corner as a stopper for the flipped shelf.
I bet that was an error on the photographers part to give away the secret. It looks like an adjustable shelf peg one on each side only more permanent.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

MLMIB,

you need to have a pivot pin for the shelf to rotate and a stop block to prevent it from rotating completely. you could make the stop block full height so its not noticed when opened. I'll see if I can post of sketch

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

hopefully this works ....
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
hopefully this works ....
ohhh, that makes a lot of sense. I was considering using pins but I do like the idea of a full length block as it'd be more sturdy.

for the ikea item, I think the supporting arm would impede my ability to put wicker baskets on the shelves so that way it looks neat and tidy.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #10

I've never made one before, but now my daughters wants one in her room ..... LOL

THANKS! Like I need more projects ..... hope this helps you out!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Bombastic Idiot

Way to go, Gary. And that is a pin it rotates on, I do have some bits long enuff to drill for a continuous rod, but I don't know how I'd keep it straight. Boing! If you need the extra strength, cut a groove for the rod, cover it with a face panel. Even a decorative one .
Thanks for showin me theses thing ML, I'm remodeling the kitchen and have a bank of shallow cabinets, cause of mechanicals behind um. I could mebbe put a blender in there, or coffee maker makes more sense, make one of these shelves with bottom/face a a flat panel "door". Open it up there's the shelf to use it on. When I'm thru, put it away and close the door/shelf (delf?) Now I just gotta think of the kinda kitchen things that can be used like that.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

so does anyone think using a finishing nail as the pin to rotate on would work? or is a finishing nail not thick enough to support any weight?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Bombastic Idiot

Nail is too wimpy. 'Cept for lightest of shelves. 6 penny nail isn't even 1/8", gotta go to 30D to get almost 1/4. There's all sorts of pins and rods at hardware store. Bolt would work.
Sorry those are common nails, finish nail 16D almost !/8 about 3 1/2 long. i think I see what you wanted to do there, hold the shelf in place and drive nails into it? Hole placement is critical, especially or closed position.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #14

my concern really started over the sides being 1" thick, so using a pin wouldn't be hard but it would require a set depth and a nail could go through yada yada, but yea, just thought a nail might be a short cut. *sigh* no short cuts, I'll do the pin. I got the pin with the green colored end at home depot, it seemed to be strong enough to hold. let me know if you think differently
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #15

Wow, those are cool. I think a couple of those would work in our living room....

Advertisement

jeremybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote