Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #1

Share |

How do I add onto a existing deck?

I just moved into a house that has a walkway I would like to expand away from the house another 6 feet, the only dilemma I have is that when the house was built in the 70's the support boards were tied into the house as part of the basement rafters. My idea was to get a board that would extend from the existing board to the edge of the new deck and then get boards to go on each side that went the entire length of the deck and bolt the three together. The deck is right above the basement walkout so it's one story up. I was thinking I would put 4x4 with cement footings at the ends farthest from the house every few feet. I need the deck to be VERY sturdy seeing as we would like to put a hot tub in a corner farthest from the house and are planning on having a patio set on it as well. Will this work or does anyone have suggestions for me. We live in Iowa where we get several feet of snow in the winter so the deck will obviously need to be able to handle a lot of weight. -Erica

EricaFromIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Willing to listen

A hot tub on a deck can weigh in the range of 5000 lbs full of water and people. If you don't know exactly what you are doing it would be best to get an engineer or deck company involved....or consider getting the tub down to ground level on a concrete pad.

As for you other question it would probably be best to post a pic of the location where you want to expand to get accurate help. Good luck.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

You should start by getting a copy of the local building code regulations for decks. My town uses the "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide", based on 2006 IRC code. When I pulled my permit, the inspector gave me a copy of this booklet, and said follow the rules. This is a very good, very thorough guide, covers everything from joists and beams to posts and railings.

Decks can carry a large amount of load, and as mentioned by previous poster, a hot tub can be extremely heavy. Hot tub loading IS NOT covered by this guide, you will need professional assistance in sizing the structural elements if you place the hot tub on your deck.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote