Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

How difficult to install exterior slab door?

I'd like to build my own exterior door and I'm confident I can handle it. However, it seems like it might be pretty difficult to install such a door, given that I've only got a rough opening (38" x 82"). So, what is the best way to do this? Could I buy the pre-hung framing (without a door, of course) and "pre-hang" my new door in it, and then install it just like a standard pre-hung door? Or would it make more sense to install some framing on the rough opening first, then hang the door? Any info would be appreciated---the more detailed, the better. Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Jam kits can be purchased for your purpose. But making a door, especially an exterior door takes a fair amount of carpentry skills and knowledge of what is needed. What type of weather stripping will you use?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #3

what material are you using? you may want to match it up of oak cherry etc with the jamb and make your own jamb or buy one and install it.

then route out for the hindges and bore out for look set. make sure jamb is solidly installed since exterior doors are usually very heavy.. use 4" hindges.

and yes making a door requires carpentry skills, exterior glue, several clamps. etc.

norm abrams on new yankee workshop had a show earlier this year showing making a door. go to his website and check out past shows for it.

if you have never hung a door. you can always make door and then hire a pro door hanger to install it. I said A PRO, only about 20% of all carpenters can hang a door correctly from scratch and have a reveal the same all around the door. and ask them if they have a porter cable 126 door planner,,, then you know they are a pro. most likely.
kreg McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreg McMahon View Post
.... norm abrams on new yankee workshop had a show earlier this year showing making a door.....
here is a Link: http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0702

For the readers who are not familiar with kreg, he is new to the DIY forum but nationally known as a major contributer to the JLC online forum with 3,986 posts. I am proud to count him as a friend.

A Google search on kreg got 4,440 hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

K\kreg is also an Author in this issue of the free online magazine This Is Carpentry
(kregs article starts on p118)
http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/

Attached Thumbnails
How difficult to install exterior slab door?-t.i.c.-issue-4.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-14-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added Note on This is Carpentry free Magazine
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote