Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #1

Share |

How to cut a countertop to fit exactly within a closet?

I have a closet in my home theater that I have been using as a work space. I measured it and bought a desk that would fit within the closet with the doors removed. This has worked OK but I have very little usable space. I was forced to get this desk as it was the only one that would fit.

What I want to do now is to remove this desk and build one in myself. My plan is to nail some 2x4's to the studs at the appropriate height on the left, right and rear walls and then rest a piece of laminate countertop on these studs. The problem is that the interior of the closet is not perfectly rectangular. Where the rear wall meets the left wall there is a 2 part curve, it is not a right angle. As such I cannot simply measure the interior dimensions and cut the countertop.

My question is: how do I cut the laminate countertop to the right shape? I want it to fit snugly within the closet so that it extends to all of the walls. I figured some sort of template might be the answer but how would I do that? Any suggestions? Thank you.

docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

What I would do is make the template in two halves. Allow enough material to overlap. Scribe one side to the wall, then the other. Put the two pieces against their respective walls and tape the halves together securely.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #3

Yes, you definately need to make a two-part template first. One half of the template will have the odd-shaped portion, and the other half can overlay it. Use tape or hot glue to secure them together.

Fasten the template to the countertop. Use a jigsaw to rough-cut the countertop to the template, leaving about 1/8"-1/4" extra material. If you have a router or a friend with a router, you can use a bearing pattern bit to flush trim the remaining 1/8". The router bit's bearing rides the edge of the template and cuts the countertop to exactly match the template.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4

You'll also need to bevel the underside of one end of the countertop (I'm assuming the doorway to this closet is narrower than the interior of the closet). Cut a 10 degree bevel on the underside of one end, so that you can put the other end in first, and then lay it down towards the beveled end. The bevel will allow the counter to drop into place without getting hung up on the wall.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

another way you could make a template is rip down some 1/4 Luann plywood at 2-1/2" wide measure the back wall and cut your first piece could be a little shorter. the same with the front .lay them down on the 2x4 supports. then measure the sides and cut this pieces get some hot glue and those small black screws that are used for securing metal studs to the metal tracks. glue and screw those pieces in place tight to the walls scribe to wall if need be. when dry remove and trace to the top. one piece template
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote