How Can I Join These Boards Together? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
drh

Rewards Points: 25
Question

How can I join these boards together?

Hello,

I have a nook under my staircase in the basement that I would like to custom fit with a built-in shelving unit. Before I can place any shelving, I'm looking to attach three melamine faced boards together to form the outer frame.

Given the strange angles forming this nook under the staircase, I'm wondering how I might best tackle joining these three boards together?

My assumption is that I need to determine the angles of each intersection and have the lumber yard rip the angles appropriately into each board. But then, how best to join? Glue + screw?

Picture attached, to help better illustrate the "nook" i'm dealing with.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
How can I join these boards together?-closet.jpg  

Advertisement

drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 284

There are a number of ways to do it but first it would be helpful to know what type of woodworking tools you have access to.

I would use biscuits but not everyone is going to have access to a plate joiner.

Advertisement

Last edited by Richo; 03-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pocket hole screws may work.
snake2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
Cabinet Installer

Rewards Points: 75

I use Roo glue to bond melamine. I have found it to work well when bonding the face to the ends of your sheets. You can find a distributer near you with their website. http://www.rooglue.com/rooclear.html
I would be surprised if you can get the lumber yard to cut the material for you. Sometimes Lowe’s will cut material for customers. Most lumber yards won’t do that for customers around here.
I use screws or staples to assemble melamine regularly. I would recommend a 2” screw with a flat head. Fastap makes a good one.
www.fastapscrews.com
You can look for melamine screws on their site. A flat head will help avoid splitting out the end of the sheet when you countersink the screw. I have used some screws with a tapered head that will work well but you run the risk of creating a bulge in the end.
Good luck
http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 284

Quote:
I would be surprised if you can get the lumber yard to cut the material for you.
Home Depot does it around here BUT I'm doubtful that they will cut angles and even if they do, usually you're probably dealing with an employee with just basic training on the panel saw. A couple years ago I saw a Depot employee feeding stock into the saw WITH the direction of the blade....he made a mess out of that guy's piece of wood before I could tell him that he's going the wrong way.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
drh

Rewards Points: 25

Thank you for all the responses!

To answer your questions, Richo: I have access to quite a few woodworking tools around construction and simple building tools - however no access to biscuit joiners or anything of the like. If this is indeed the most efficient method to join, I believe my local Home Depot offers biscuit joiners to rent.

The Roo-Glue with Melamine screws may work well also - would this keep a joint strong enough to hold over time? These melamine sheets are quite heavy.

Do I still need to ensure the ends of the board are cut on an angle (matching the angle of the staircase/walls) ?

Thanks again,
Dan
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Cabinet Installer

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh View Post
however no access to biscuit joiners or anything of the like.
I think biscuit joiners are great and do their job well. There are many great ways to join parts however. A biscuit joiner will help you line up the parts and strengthen the joint.

I might recommend you buy a 3/8" dowel and and cut it into short 1 1/2" lengths and drill a 3/8" hole through your parts once they are lined up to accommodate the dowel. This should be just as strong with glue in the joints. You could also drill your holes so that the dowel is captured between the parts rather than drilling all the way through. This would require some precise measuring.

I really think the joint would be plenty strong with glue and screws.
http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

If you only wish to make a shelving unit our of that area, then why pr-assemble? Why not just cut the pieces and use construction adhesive to adhere the melamine in place. You could also use some countersunk screws with plastic covers over them to finish the job off. This would make it simpler,as well as easier.

Cheers
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

HD or Lowes will gut length or width on square not bevel. You'll have to cut your angle yourself. You can likely get by with a circular saw as you only need a bit of "back cut" on the low side. Put your ceiling piece in first (square on the high side, bevel on the low side), then walls. The long side (outer edge) should butt to the ceiling without a cut. Test cut a scrap piece of wood first on your low side to get the right angle for your cut. The bevel on the low side of the ceiling will allow the piece to fit snugly so the wall piece can butt up with a bit of overlap. I kind of like Fixrite's idea for installing. That way you could even use adhesive on the studs to assure a good hold with minimal screws.......
Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Do you actually need to join them? It looks like you're trying to cover the stringers with the top piece and put up the sides to hold the shelves.

Advertisement