Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

How can I build shelf for microwave

Its for above electric range and under cabinet. Can it be done by screwing support board to joists then connect shelf to that piece and under shelf place L brackets and triangle type support arms. It needs to be strong enough to support microwave but not low enough that interfers with cooking on range top. Measurments/ microwave 16"d 21.750' w 12.500"h, Opening 36"w X 29.500 bottom of cabinet to top of range. Neighbor brought over this thing that was metal called it an apartment microwave type stand, it was a shelf and the arms curved under and were placed on the sides of range. did the job but...could not see stove controls could not turn on oven light it was removed. Want to do this job without touching cabinets cherry and 40 years old when the time comes down the line maybe new cabinets but not in the picture now. HELP we have been trying to figure this out for some time. BIGGEST PROBLEM GOT TO GET MICROWAVE OFF COUNTER TOP LIMITED COUNTER SPACE NO WHERE TO COOK. Thanks

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Why are you unwilling to touch the cabinets?

Is the idea of the shelf to avoid using the wall bracket and attaching to the uppers?

b_corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

a cabinet can easily built using a veneer plywood and stain. you will need only (1) sheet...

stain to match your cherry cabinets and I would screw it up from the bottom into your upper over the stove. You can face the cabinet in solid wood so you don't see the plywood edges.

do you plan to plug the micro into an outlet on the stove?? (leave a notch in the back side of the cabinet large enough to allow the end of the plug through.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Wife if we possible can last option remove or tamper with cabinets. I dont know what will work that will be strong enough and will balance the mw and fit in space. I was thinking best way to secure it ...(it IS a counter top mw so no vent) but also need ideas because not sure wat will really work.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

you really shouldn't put a microwave above a stove by simply adding a shelf to put it on, I believe you're supposed to have at least 24" above the stove to prevent a fire. The microwaves you see built in above stove typically have a vent and exhaust fan underneath of them.

If I read your measurements correctly, you'll have 16 1/2" from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the range...which is lower than your cabinets to the countertops.

This house had a similar situation to that you have, no microwave, but two shelves above the stove and no hood. The bottom of the lowest shelf was 18" above the stove and the heat buildup under it was quite intense.

I would suggest buying a nice microwave cart if you have space for it somehow
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #6

I would say that if there is enough space from the microwave to the range top after install, I would just go buy a microwave designed to be over the range.
b_corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
old guy contractor

One of these?

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99 View Post
you really shouldn't put a microwave above a stove by simply adding a shelf to put it on, I believe you're supposed to have at least 24" above the stove to prevent a fire. The microwaves you see built in above stove typically have a vent and exhaust fan underneath of them.

If I read your measurements correctly, you'll have 16 1/2" from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the range...which is lower than your cabinets to the countertops.

This house had a similar situation to that you have, no microwave, but two shelves above the stove and no hood. The bottom of the lowest shelf was 18" above the stove and the heat buildup under it was quite intense.

I would suggest buying a nice microwave cart if you have space for it somehow
"Yes you are right read my reply".
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #9

countertop MWs are for countertops. Over the stove MWs are for over the stove
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

Knew a guy who built wood shelf over range for Micro wife was cooking fried chicken went into the other room for 30 seconds about 10 feet from range came back in shelf and kitchen was blazing --Hot grease spattered out of pot and hit the wood need I say more. Was out of the house a month and complete rebuild Kitchen and much smoke damage to entire house. Claim was 50K.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #11

4911 yes that was what was brought by totry and trouble with controls and switch for oven. shelf right on top of top of oven. AS for using a cart very small kitch thinking of removing kitchen table set and doing a island w/bar stools and drawers to help with storage space. No dont want any fires getting to be that either deal with less counter space or remove cabinets but now that we bought counter top microwave ship has kinda sailed.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #12

I know it's unfortunate, the situation you're in....perhaps you could post a simple floor plan of what you have to work with....or some photos.

The ideal solution would be to take the cabinet down above the stove and modify it or replace it with a shorter one to allow for more space.

I was in the same boat, I left that shelf there for a little while and after a couple of months, I was cleaning under it and noticed the grease buildup and paint chipping.

Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote