Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 250

How bad is black mold?

A local community centre removed some drywall and found some "black stuff" which I assume is mold. Can this be sprayed with a disinfectant (sp) or should it be totally removed? Is it considered a health hazard? They were planning to leave it and drywall over the area. Any other remedies?
Thanks

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #2

How bad is black mold?

Black mold can be a serious health hazard!It can be treated if it is only a small infected area but removal of all infected material is best.Mold also needed moisture to grow.Check for plumbing leaks,rain infiltration even small holes in vapour barrier can let enough moisture through.Don't just hide this behind drywall you could have a very sick building!

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Solutions (handyman)

How bad is black mold?

Thanks Dave. That's what I thought but needed a "second opinion".
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #4

How bad is black mold?

Try googling stacci botrus
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

How bad is black mold?

Ok letís see you asked how bad is black mold well it can cause many health problems, ranging from minor to severe. The most common problems are similar in nature to allergies, such as runny nose, headache, sore throat and irritated eyes. More serious problems can occur, such as dizziness and difficulty concentrating. Black mold is a dangerous byproduct of moisture entering into your house and remaining trapped there for a period of time. Mold is a living organism, similar in nature to fungi such as mushrooms that reproduce by spores. These spores are released into the air and can cause detrimental damage to our bodies if inhaled, ingested or exposed to skin.

The most common place to see black mold is where a constant leak provides a water source, such as under a toilet, near a shower or in a basement behind drywall where there is a moisture problem. Flooding also tends to cause bad outbreaks of black mold and you should remove all drywall and items infected with black mold. Most people can take care of minor and localized cases, as long as they follow strict safety guidelines. If it is more serious a professional should be called to ensure the mold is remediated properly and safely.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
daveb1 (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,010

How bad is black mold?

How bad can Black Mold be: In my case, two days in an out-of-town hospital. I had re-built a bath floor after a leaky toilet seal destroyed it. While working on it I noticed the dark colored "tree branch" looking thingy's growing on the floor joists. I got this stuff all over my arms while working on this project, but "thought" I was washing up well enough each day before leaving the job site. About two weeks after exposure, while attending a funeral out-of-town, a cousin who is a nurse noticed all those red bumps all over my arms and recommended immediate Doctor's care. It's called "Folliculitus" (sp). That Black Mold stuff will go through the pores of your skin, get into your blood stream, infect your entire blood supply, and show up looking like the measles at each hair follicle. Immediate hospitalization and I.V.'s in both arms. Been there, done that, DO NOT want to do this again.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
uva uvam videndo variafit

How bad is black mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
How bad can Black Mold be: In my case, two days in an out-of-town hospital. I had re-built a bath floor after a leaky toilet seal destroyed it. While working on it I noticed the dark colored "tree branch" looking thingy's growing on the floor joists. I got this stuff all over my arms while working on this project, but "thought" I was washing up well enough each day before leaving the job site. About two weeks after exposure, while attending a funeral out-of-town, a cousin who is a nurse noticed all those red bumps all over my arms and recommended immediate Doctor's care. It's called "Folliculitus" (sp). That Black Mold stuff will go through the pores of your skin, get into your blood stream, infect your entire blood supply, and show up looking like the measles at each hair follicle. Immediate hospitalization and I.V.'s in both arms. Been there, done that, DO NOT want to do this again.
WOW. I thought it would have been limited to respiratory issues.

I read the other day that mold on cheese grows 1" roots into the cheese, so soft moldy cheese should not be eaten and hard moldy cheese should only be eaten if 1" is cut from all 6 sides. (I've only ever thrown out moldy cheese.)
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

How bad is black mold?

DON'T COVER IT UP!!! tear out everything that you can that has it on it obviously you cannot take out structure but the mold has to be cleaned off with bleach and or hydrogen peroxide and you need to see where the moisture is coming from
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

How bad is black mold?

Black mold is usually associated with Stachybotrys which is a common mold that will appear on building materials in damp conditions. Any material that has suffered a mold infestation and cannot be cleaned, should be removed if possible. Drywall, wallcoverings and carpet should be discarded. Where removal is not practical, then a thorough cleaning should be conducted. That means a scrub down with a fungicide (bleach is the cheapest and easiest). Everything then needs to be thoroughly wiped up, dried and then sealed. It goes without saying that the moisture issue needs to be remedied to prevent a re-occurance. Molds produce mycotoxins which are basically very nasty chemicals. Think of some of the most nasty chemicals you can and chances are a mold produces them somewhere. They produce these (1) as a method to digest food and (2) as a defense against other molds (protecting their territory). Over 200 mycotoxins have been identified just from common molds. Some people have a lower tolerance for these than others. Apparently Thurman is one of those unfortunate individuals with a very low tolerance. Stachybotrys is not the only toxigenic mold. Cleaning up is very important since even dead, dismembered mold corses can be an allergenic to some folks.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

How bad is black mold?

The mold remediation guys suggested cleaning our project with TSP instead of bleach. Most of the problems with most mold are reactions to the spores, and the reactions are the same if the spores are living or dead, therefore the best practice is to not use bleach -- because then you can't see if you've cleaned it all up.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

How bad is black mold?

There is a lot of BS out there telling people that bleach won't kill mold. Not sure who your mold guys are, but bleach is very effective at destroying mold. In fact it is one of the few products that will break molds down to their component parts. Most mold companies won't use bleach because of the compound gases that can form from sloppy use and it's also not good PR for a company charging you megabucks to show up on site with household bleach. TSP will certainly kill it. So will lemon juice and a whole host of other things. There are a lot of things that kill molds. The problem with bleach is that most people tend to overuse it. 10% is sufficient. Higher concentrations run the risk of creating chloroform compound gases that are more dangerous than the mold. You can certainly see if the area is clean no matter what product you use. Some people may have reactions to spores, but they are far from the solitary cause of allergic reactions. Mold spores are everywhere, but they will be found in higher than normal concentrations in the area of an active colony. The important thing here is to recognize if you are susceptable and protect yourself accordingly. Second is, regardless of what you use to clean up, to completely clean up everything, including wiping up any mold debris. As I said, even dead mold carcasses and their parts can be an allergen. The biggest part of the remediation process is knowing when to clean and when to tear out and throw away. Not everything can be saved by cleaning.
....... By the way, I am one of those mold remediation guys...... and have been for about 10 years.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #12

How bad is black mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
There is a lot of BS out there telling people that bleach won't kill mold. Not sure who your mold guys are, but bleach is very effective at destroying mold. In fact it is one of the few products that will break molds down to their component parts. Most mold companies won't use bleach because of the compound gases that can form from sloppy use and it's also not good PR for a company charging you
EPA disagrees (not that they know everything).

"The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent
human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It
is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just to kill the mold.
Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are potentially
toxic
. The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not
recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation, although
there may be instances where professional judgment may indicate its
use"

Emphasis added.

http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldremediation.pdf

One of our mold guys was a certified industrial hygienist. He seemed to know a lot more than the other two, but all three agreed on not using bleach.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
Chicago, IL

How bad is black mold?

Thurman,

Dermatophytic folliculitis is not AFAIK the result of infection by the types of mold which grow in structures, it's caused by fungi which infect living organisms - did they culture the infectious agent, and do you happen to remember what is was?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Mold!! Let's kill it!

How bad is black mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
EPA disagrees (not that they know everything).

"The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent
human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It
is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just to kill the mold.
Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are potentially
toxic. The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not
recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation, although
there may be instances where professional judgment may indicate its
use"

Emphasis added.

http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldremediation.pdf

One of our mold guys was a certified industrial hygienist. He seemed to know a lot more than the other two, but all three agreed on not using bleach.
Yup. But not because it doesn't kill mold. No-where will you find the EPA telling you that bleach won't kill mold. In fact, right after Katrina, the EPA was advising everyone in the flood zone to use bleach. Why? Because it was cheap, easy to use, effective and readily available.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
Chicago, IL

How bad is black mold?

Chlorine bleach and mold: http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCatego...?idCategory=78

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
pyper (01-28-2011)