Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Home DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Homemade Beaded Panels

HI All. I've done a few searches and so far not found what I'm looking for. I plan to make up some Beaded panels, to simulate the ones made many years ago, made of individual 4" or 5" slats with a beaded edge. I plan to use 12mm MDF, I don't know if you call it something else in the states, 4ft high, and capped and footed with a Dado rail or similar. I roughly know how to make a jig to create the lines, but I can't work out which router cutters, whether just one or several, to use, to create a similar look. I live in a Cob house built in 1855 and will need to get it pretty close to the existing Victorian panels to match. I know I could buy it off the shelf from the DIY store, but it just doesn't look right and it would be real expensive doing it that way. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, and has any suggestions as to which router bits to use, I would be obliged.
Cheers Graham

GrayUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,134

Homemade Beaded Panels

Why MDF?

There was no MDF in 1855!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Homemade Beaded Panels

Graham, Welcome to the Forum. Sorry I missed your intro. I love the name of your Village Tolpuddle so I Goggled it and got some great pics, very historic country. Here in So Cal on Channel 50 we get to see the BBC sitcom 'Last of the Summer Wine' which takes place in a small village which I imagine may be similar in size anyway to yours.

The DIY Carpentry Forum has a contributor in NC that is known as the Bead Board King. I hope he see's your Post as he will have some valuable advice. I have not made any from scratch, but I applaud your effort. Wear a respirator at least a dust mask. Better yet read this first, from the UK:
http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

Your 12mm MDF would be called ” MDF here in the US. You would measure ours as 12.7mm. On the other hand our ” plywood is most commonly sold at a thickness of 15/32 (11.9mm). Don’t say anything about those crazy fractions as it’s you Brits fault for starting us down this road.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Homemade Beaded Panels

HI, I've made bead board a few times,I use a table saw shaper blade make by Sears ,Craftsman.

I've been told that Sears no longer sells them-However they were available for over 40 years,
used ones must be out there,some other company may sell the product also.

Works well!-------------MIKE
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote