Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Share |

Hinges

I have two different cabinets made with different types of hinges, both with the same problem. The problem is that the doors are able to open beyond 90 degrees. I would like a hinge (or better yet, an attachment to my existing hinges) that will prevent the doors from opening beyond 75 degrees or so. My current hinges are manufactured by Liberty and Grass respectively. I am going to try to attach pictures. I would greatly appreciate any solutions anyone has to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Hinges-hinge1.jpg   Hinges-hinge2.jpg  
ivanl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #2

Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
I would like a hinge (or better yet, an attachment to my existing hinges) that will prevent the doors from opening beyond 75 degrees or so.
Use a small chain mounted such that it makes a ~40 degree angle with the door surface when the door is fully open.

The leverage on any kind of restraint mounted at the hinge would be enormous.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Hinges

I had thought about a chain, but I am struggling to understand where I would mount it. To the top (inside) of the cabinet and the top (inside) of the door?

Will I be able to find chains with adjustable length at a place like Lowe's?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #4

Hinges

Quote:
I had thought about a chain, but I am struggling to understand where I would mount it. To the top (inside) of the cabinet and the top (inside) of the door?

Will I be able to find chains with adjustable length at a place like Lowe's?

Thanks a lot.
You mount them at the top of the door and cabinet top surface and hope that the chain doesn't need to be so long that it droops onto the cabinet contents. The longer the chain, the less tension on it and its fasteners when the door is pushed to more than 75 degrees.

You have the chain cut to the length you specify, with their hydraulic chain cutting machine.

There is also a slotted bar that pivots at both ends to prevent desk doors from opening too wide, but I can't think of the name of it.
As you open the desk door a pin rides in the slot until the end of the slot is reached; this is when the desk door is horizontal, for writing on.
I've seen them in brass.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Hinges

Wife hates the chain idea....Can't I replace the hinges with ones that only open 75 degrees or so?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #6

Hinges

Quote:
Wife hates the chain idea....Can't I replace the hinges with ones that only open 75 degrees or so?
If you can find hinges like that it would be good practice if they were fastened to the cabinet and doors with through bolts, not wood screws, for extra strength.

Search
"Final open position may be set at either 75 degrees or 90 degrees"

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-30-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #7

Hinges

In addition to the item you found, I also found this:

http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/hinges...41103/#general

I assume this would work ONLY with Blum hinges, not Grass or Liberty? If so, does anyone have suggestions on which Blum hinges I should use to replace the Liberty and Grass hinges pictured above?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Hinges

Quote:
Check out toy chest lid supports at Lowes/HD or online at Rockler. You need a physical stop mechanism for this; to limit the door, especially at such a typically short opening angle, with the hinge will only result in ripped out hinges and eventaully cracked door frames.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote