DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hinge bits slipping

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  skymaster 
#1 ·
I just purchased two General brand hinge bits. I tried to use them but the drill inside the bits does not spin when I try to drill a hole and press the bit into the hinge, it simply stops spinning with the drill. I took it apart and the drill bits on both of the ones I purchased are not attached to anything to keep them spinning with the drill. On the outside of each hinge bit, there is a hole that looks like it should take a set screw to hold the drill bit, but neither of the hinge bits I purchased has an actual set screw. Are they supposed to come with a set screw? Am I missing something? How do you get the drill bit locked in and spinning with the drill?

Thanks

#3 ·
Vix bits are supposed to have set screws in them. They're never going to work without them! The set screws allow you to set the depth the pilot hole is drilled to, and of course secure the bit so it will turn.

I've found that cheap vix bits are more of an annoyance than an asset. A good quality one will be a pleasure to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.