Hidden Attic Hatch?? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hidden attic hatch??

I'm in the long process of building my house and realized late in the game that all my attic storage space was above 2 bedrooms (which will be used as office space for the time being) and there is no way to get to this area from my laundry room hatch. I had plenty of storage space over the laundry, baths, and hallway until the HVACs octopus was installed up there

I have the room for a 2'x2' - 2'x3' hatch in my office ceiling but would really like it to be sort of hidden. A built in ladder would be nice but not important.

I looked at the tele ladders at home depot and they look as though they would be nice to use, but the visible side is a bit ugly. I would love it if people never knew it was even there, but aside from hanging a poster, or trimming the ceiling with some sort of tray design using trim I'm at a loss...

I also knocked around an idea to double door it, one door slid into the ceiling space (between my 3/4 attic floor & the drywall over the room 3.5" space) and then the 3/4" ply open like a floor trap door. I even bought these fancy balled drawer slides but never got the spring up out the way part figured out

From the attic down I have: 3/4 ply, then the 2x4 bottom cord of my trusses, then the drywall. (note: drywall not hung yet)

Any ideas?

Advertisement

buick455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

hidden attic hatch??

This is a quick, knee-jerk type of response but it seems to me that instead of trying to "hide" a 2x2' or 2x3' opening in the ceiling, why not incorporate a trimmed design into the ceiling (or tray ceiling) that involves 2x2' or 2x3' areas, one of which is actually the "secret" opening to the attic? Just a thought.

Advertisement

ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #3

hidden attic hatch??

Yeah that was one of my thoughts also.. Just to make the seams less visible, but I'm worried about the wife factor. Trimming the ceiling out with 2x2 squares using 1/8"x1" trim or something might set off her "um, NOOooo" alarm, lol.. Of corse I am waiting till its finished to discuss it with her

This is the same house that the kitchen, stairs and master bath have been remodeled twice (each) and the house hasnt been lived in yet (not full remodeled, just change walls, closets, plumbing, railings, winders wheres the rolling eyes icon?). You wouldnt know it but she helped design this place the first time. She blames me for it taking so long Guess its my fault too for not saying "Well its done already, deal with it" but I can't cook or do laundry soooo....
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

hidden attic hatch??

Are you sure you want to store stuff in your attic? I am not sure in what part of the country you live in but in many areas of colder climates, attic storage (unless you have a real lot of room overhead) has gone the way of the dodo bird due to insulation considerations and many other factors .
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Cabinet maker

hidden attic hatch??

Why not put the access in a closet? Are you really going to keep stuff up there you need to get to?
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Sprayboy-services.com

hidden attic hatch??

I framed in a drop-down attic ladder and it worked great. You will loose some insulating value but gain a lot of usable storage space. The only issue I had was the kids managed to use it as an opium den. They could go up there because it had lights and you would never get the slightest whiff of pot in the rest of the house.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #7

hidden attic hatch??

I am located in SW Florida, and my attic space is actually insulated at the roof decking (iceing insulation) so temp of the attic space "should" only be about 10-15 degree diff from living space temps. my main thought of what i am going to store up there is hobby junk so I will be climbing up and down from time to time (maybe even 1-2 times a week) if life permits

The pull down "telescoping" ladders would do nicely but the prices are insane ($300 i think it was from homedepot) and the out of sight factor with one of those would be next to imposible.. im still thinking though, thanks for all the replys

Last edited by buick455; 11-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

hidden attic hatch??

I've got one of these in my home office:

Werner Co. Televator 10 Ft. Telescoping Access Ladder

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It takes a fairly small hole. I made a door from 1/2 inch MDF, painted the same color as the ceiling. If you look up you can see it, but I don't really spend a lot of time staring at the ceiling in my office. I put it right over the door on the theory that the door opening will always be a clear spot.

I suppose you could mount it 1/2" higher so it would close flush with the ceiling and then you'd hardly notice it even if you looked at it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #9

hidden attic hatch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
I've got one of these in my home office:

Werner Co. Televator 10 Ft. Telescoping Access Ladder

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It takes a fairly small hole. I made a door from 1/2 inch MDF, painted the same color as the ceiling. If you look up you can see it, but I don't really spend a lot of time staring at the ceiling in my office. I put it right over the door on the theory that the door opening will always be a clear spot.

I suppose you could mount it 1/2" higher so it would close flush with the ceiling and then you'd hardly notice it even if you looked at it.

i dont think they had that one when i was window shopping.. looks good, but i must ask how does it feel going up it? feel solid? also how far from the wall would it be if the hatch was about 4" from the wall (meaning the feet on floor)? I almost dont understand what i just asked
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #10

hidden attic hatch??

It feels pretty sturdy. It moves a little, due to the fit of the telescoping parts, but it feels safe to me as I climb up and down. You adjust the fit of the ladder to the exact height of the room (bolts -- there's no cutting).

I'm not sure what you're asking about the distances. My opening is 23" wide by 29 long. The ladder is about 21 wide (in the 23 opening). The slope on the ladder makes the base maybe 2 feet out from the top when it's down... When it's up it folds over so the top end of it needs 12" of clearance or so (away from the opening).
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #11

hidden attic hatch??

i just found the spec sheet for the Werner Co. Televator.. it seems great if your lookin to keep the size of the door small and the space needed to lower it, but it looks as though it sticks up into the attic space a bit when its closed. and it doesnt mount to the frame as much as it mounts to your trusses. am i seeing this correctly pyper?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #12

hidden attic hatch??

It does stick into the attic when closed. It telescopes up, and then flops over.

If you go up between two joists you put cross members to attach it to, otherwise it would attach to the truss directly. The directions that came with it were pretty specific about how to mount it.

Advertisement