DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Helping My Church (

Chicyardman 07-06-2012 12:26 AM

Helping My Church
My church holds a weekly thursday night event called "It Is What It Is" for young adults around my age, (i am 22) to help keep them out of trouble, give them a good time, a place to meet people in a relaxed environment, and just chill.

I just recently started working at an amazing local lumber yard. I am the yardman that takes care of everything outside that has to do with anything about wood, metal, plastic, all of it, lumber, orders, stock, everything.

Well my church holds IIWII in a small hanger simply called, "The Hanger" They are looking to add just a decent little 12ftx10ft office inside the building.

I cant seem to find the building codes, if i even need them, for a small room add on. I have done a lot of construction throughout my life, as my dad owns his own contracting business, but i have never gone so in depth with what i wish to do with this tiny room.

If someone could please give me some insight as to the width between each 2x4x8 stud, support, ect. (Only 8 foot high room) So if someone could please help, it would be greatly appreciated. Any and all tips will be helpful.

If you can find something relating to my issue on my towns website, it is O'Fallon Missouri. Thank you in advance.

oh'mike 07-06-2012 05:49 AM

A trip to the library is in your future--

Get a book on 'framing' --this will tell you how to lay out the studs 16" apart---Letting in bracing on a free standing structure like that.

Your biggest concern is the possible need for sprinklers in the office.

I will make two more suggestions---Go to the permit office in person and ask for the codes----those folks are usually easy enough to get along with.

Ask the church elders if there is a carpenter in the congregation that you could talk to--

Look at some of the basement finish projects on this site---

Willie T 07-06-2012 09:36 AM

My wife had to tell me... "It Is What It Is".

scottktmrider 07-06-2012 09:01 PM

Iam not too far from you i could get you started or give you some insite.
And like mike said go to lows and get a book or alot of info on the web too.
Have you thought if you will need a permit?Your city building inspector can help you with codes.

GBrackins 07-06-2012 11:13 PM

one place you may be able to get a lot of information is your local building department. they can advise you on if there is a building code and what the requirements are, and if a permit would be required.

glad you have a safe place to go and socialize. More youths need such.

Good luck!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1