HELP With A Very Simple Hanging Job. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP with a very simple hanging job.

Hi all, as you can tell from my name, I don't do stuff around the house very much, but I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help me out with this!

I want to hang a pegboard in a basement room. 2'x4', needs to support hanging maybe 20 lbs of junk on it. I don't know what kind of hangers to use. I don't even know how basement walls are constructed, but I assume there is not a normal stud wall in front of the poured foundation.

This is a house built in the 70's, with the fake brick-looking poured foundation, and part of the basement has been finished, drywalled. I'm hoping there's some sort of wood frame behind the drywall that I can screw into. Anyone have ideas on how I might do this? What might be behind the drywall, and even how it might be spaced?

I'd prefer to avoid using molly screws in the drywall, if possible.

Oh, I should mention that my basic plan is to screw two 1"x2" strips, 4' long, to the wall, then mount the pegboard to them.

Advertisement

Incompetent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

See if you could get your hands on a stud finder, make the wall where the peg board is gong to be hung. drive a small finish nail in to the wall where the stud is to see what material the stud is and how thick. then install you furring strips I would also run some down the middle for more support. then hang your peg board.
Good luck BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, Bob, would you expect these to be normal 2x4 studs, spaced 16", or is that something that varies? I did use a stud finder, but not really sure if it's working. I made a hole where it says there was a stud (with a nail), but it just seemed like it went thru drywall, with nothing behind?
Incompetent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good advice from Bob as always.

You could have full 2x4 studs, or something else ranging from thin strips of lath to 2x2's or 2x4's flat. A stud finder is a wonderful gadget to have around, and they are not expensive at all. Otherwise, use a small nail to probe through the wall behind the future location of the pegboard to find the studs. Tapping the wall with a hammer will often help you find studs...Just tap lightly in a horizontal line...When it starts to sound solid you're there.

Your idea of 1x strips will work fine. I'd just use deck screws to secure the strips to the studs.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote