Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

HELP.. unique problem with window casings!

Hi everyone, and thanks, in advance, for ANY help you can offer!

Long story short, the 'contractors' that installed my new windows, did NOT measure and cut down the casings to fit the width of the wall beFORE intalling.. as a result, I am left (after firing them for many bad practices) with about an inch of 'casing' jutting out from the wall.. I have tried using a jig-saw and am finding that a difficult task, especially when getting near the corners as the saw bucks and cannot lay flat.. my questions are:
1) is there a kind of 'jig' type saw on the market that has the blade jutting out from the side while the tool itself lays flat on the wall and butts up to the extruding piece?
or
2) is there an 'easy' way to cut this off without a) destroying the new drywall or b)removing the entire window (the window in question is 96" w x 72"h)

my hope is that there IS a saw that would fit this type of 'unique' job as the 5'w door casing and 6'w patio door casing are in similar shape.. although could probably fix those readily enough with just a simple planer.. until I arrived at the bottom where the floor is, wherein, I'd presume, use a small hand saw!

Appreciate any help I can get here.. this task is becomming quite frustrating due to the uniqueness of the problem!

Thanks!
Z

ZeroEffected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 24

The only “clean” way to do it is to pull out the surrounds and run them through a table saw.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Like Kwik said, the easiest way would to be to take off the "jamb extensions" and recut them. If you are careful, you should be able to get them off without damaging the window. I have used a hand held power plane to plane down jambs that were a little proud of the drywall or plaster. But if yours are sticking out an inch, that's an awful lot to do.
Just curious, where do you find such hacks to work on your house in the first place? Next time, ask for references and check them out. There's no excuse for work like this to happen. I end up fixing a lot of these kind of mistakes. I always feel bad when I see this happen. It seems like it is more the norm than good work is anymore. How bout some pictures of your project so we may be able to give you a little more detailed advice?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Please post a picture if you can--Ron and Mike are ,very likely, right--those sound like removable jamb extenders--Let just hope Moe ,Larry or Curly did not glue them.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

removing the jamb-extensions would be easy if they were NOT already attached/integrated to the window itself.. I may have incorrectly explained this as it's the window 'casing' itself and not the casing/framing made on the house prior to installation.. the windows were not purchased "pre-fit to depth".. they were to be cut down to the actual measurements as I was unsure of the correct thickness of my walls.. so in that case I see the only solution to remove the window entirely, measure and cut accordingly and reinstall it.. which being a single woman, albeit up for the task, not strong or dextorous enough to fufill solo! thus sending me on yet another tedious search for reputable contractors, when the previous ones have already depleted the budget!

guess that's what I get for hiring a "friend of a friend" type contractor and taking only my friends, although trusted, opinion! But.. there is a court case pending! I do agree however that in todays market, there are many who SAY they can do a huge job, the 'contract' was to renovate my entire home(a bungalow of 66 x 30 - including finishing the entire basement) on an agreed budget, then you find them scratching their head on some of the simplest tasks!

Thankfully I've a keen enough mind to figure out most 'how to' labor tasks.. from the designing right to the finished product.. I just wanted to save myself some time and have someone ELSE do the work for a change! well.. it's a mistake I've paid dearly for and.. sadly, it's left horribly frustrating aftertaste for contractors in general!

Thanks Mike, perhaps your idea of a 'power plane' might work.. I've included some pics.. hopefully it will give you a better idea of my dilemma!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP.. unique problem with window casings!-mini1.jpg   HELP.. unique problem with window casings!-mini2.jpg   HELP.. unique problem with window casings!-mini3.jpg   HELP.. unique problem with window casings!-mini4.jpg   HELP.. unique problem with window casings!-mini5.jpg  

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
DIY staff

I am confused--are those new windows?

The sides that are sticking out are jamb extenders---I do not know if you can easily remove them.

I could have those trimmed in place quickly with a Router--a straight cutting bit and a home made riser plate ---Mike---

Last edited by oh'mike; 06-06-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

not to hijack the thread but i have the exact opposite problem. my windows sit in not flush with the wall. i'm sure the solution is to trim it out but any great methods out there?
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #8

for the jambs that stick out too far, use a flooring jamb saw to cut them flush to the drywall.
for the jambs that don't stick out, simply cut extensions to suit.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
gmhammes (06-09-2010), ZeroEffected (06-07-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #9

Mike.. the windows were bought new by my sister for this house(when she was intending on moving here-her 'investment' into what was to be 'our' home) and stored for several years in one of my 'sheds'.. so not BRAND new but still never used.. last summer I had finally gotten the finances to have all the work done.. however that endeavor 'failed'! lol
and if you were closer.. perhaps I'd take you up on your offer!! thanks!

to JLHaslip... that's exACTly what I was hoping for.. a hand held tool that would get the job done!! thank you for that!! I'm searching my local hardware stores online already for one!! YAY.. another 'toy' to add to my collection!!

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've offered.. and so quickly too!!!

this site is fabulous!! I WILL be back surely with more queries.. and hopefully I'll be able to pay the service forward one day as well
Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
DIY staff

Bosch finecut--under cutting saw would work.
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
ZeroEffected (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #11

thanks Mike.. actually I discovered, while searching for 'jamb cutters' online, that I already have a grinder/cutter with 4.5" blades that I bought about 1.5yrs ago for another 'project'.. forgot all about that until I saw the pics of the Jamb cutter tool in my search.. so I'll try that when I get a moment to play around with it.. I'll let ya know how it all works out!!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
for the jambs that stick out too far, use a flooring jamb saw to cut them flush to the drywall.
for the jambs that don't stick out, simply cut extensions to suit.

I assumed as much.

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casing, cutting tools, window