Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

help settling porch posts - a dilemma.

Hi.

I recently repaired a bunch of framing on my porch and replaced the floor.

On three of the posts, I cut off the bottoms just below the turning, then spliced on a fir 6X6 with pocket screws and gorilla glue. I rounded over the corners with a compass and they match perfectly. I did this because it always bothers me to see blatant "repairs" on posts, where the seam is obviously right there in the middle of the bottom square part.

Anyway, I just finished the floor, and went to take out all the crow's mouth bracing that had been holding up the roof.
Only the two corners came down to meet the deck. The middle three are suspended in the air about 3/8 -1/2".

All of the post bottoms are exactly the same length, and the distance from the bottom of the post to the bottom of the carrying beam is the same on all of them.

Now, somehow when I replaced the rim joist with 2X6, it wound up coming down lower than the old one which had rough cut X6, effectively lowering the edge of the deck 1/2" or so.

I just went up on the roof and jumped around over the carrying beam. Those posts are NOT meeting the deck.

Here's my dilemma:

I went to great lengths to offset my PT 6x6s on top of the piers in from the turned posts, so that my 1X trim will line up perfectly with the corner of the post all the way down to the ground.

If I have to cut 6X6 pads to jam in under the posts so they meet the deck, I'm left with two options:

1) do an extreme careful job with glue and wood filler and paint and caulk and try to have NO visible seam at all

2) if there is a seam, have to box in the bottom of the post with some sort of trim. this is a pain because it changes the look, the design I had planned with the offset, and also mess around with all my railing connections down low there.

3) I could run 3/4" thick lattice under my trim, thereby lining up with 3/4 trim if I have to trim the post bottoms. THis might look OK, actually.

The question is: can I pull off a seamless joint by inserting a pad underneath these floating posts?

My preference is really to keep the basic square bottom on the deck.

What would you guys do here?

So far I've done everything myself and spared no expense in detail and labor to make this beautiful and of high quality. I just put down a mahogany floor. The last thing I want is an ugly seam and the first thing anyone thinks when they look at the porch - "look, a repair!"

Thanks guys, and pardon the long post.

B
check out my blog for some pictures of how the posts look. i don't have an actual shot of the finished floor with floating posts.
http://54dresser.blogspot.com/

Last edited by wombosi; 10-01-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added link
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
Hi.

I recently repaired a bunch of framing on my porch and replaced the floor.

On three of the posts, I cut off the bottoms just below the turning, then spliced on a fir 6X6 with pocket screws and gorilla glue. I rounded over the corners with a compass and they match perfectly. I did this because it always bothers me to see blatant "repairs" on posts, where the seam is obviously right there in the middle of the bottom square part.

Anyway, I just finished the floor, and went to take out all the crow's mouth bracing that had been holding up the roof.
Only the two corners came down to meet the deck. The middle three are suspended in the air about 3/8 -1/2".

All of the post bottoms are exactly the same length, and the distance from the bottom of the post to the bottom of the carrying beam is the same on all of them.

Now, somehow when I replaced the rim joist with 2X6, it wound up coming down lower than the old one which had rough cut X6, effectively lowering the edge of the deck 1/2" or so.

I just went up on the roof and jumped around over the carrying beam. Those posts are NOT meeting the deck.

Here's my dilemma:

I went to great lengths to offset my PT 6x6s on top of the piers in from the turned posts, so that my 1X trim will line up perfectly with the corner of the post all the way down to the ground.

If I have to cut 6X6 pads to jam in under the posts so they meet the deck, I'm left with two options:

1) do an extreme careful job with glue and wood filler and paint and caulk and try to have NO visible seam at all

2) if there is a seam, have to box in the bottom of the post with some sort of trim. this is a pain because it changes the look, the design I had planned with the offset, and also mess around with all my railing connections down low there.

3) I could run 3/4" thick lattice under my trim, thereby lining up with 3/4 trim if I have to trim the post bottoms. THis might look OK, actually.

The question is: can I pull off a seamless joint by inserting a pad underneath these floating posts?

My preference is really to keep the basic square bottom on the deck.

What would you guys do here?

So far I've done everything myself and spared no expense in detail and labor to make this beautiful and of high quality. I just put down a mahogany floor. The last thing I want is an ugly seam and the first thing anyone thinks when they look at the porch - "look, a repair!"

Thanks guys, and pardon the long post.

B
check out my blog for some pictures of how the posts look. i don't have an actual shot of the finished floor with floating posts.
Could you remove the posts from the upper beam? if so make some sort of dectorative shim and install it on top of the post and under the beam, make it 1/4" wider all the way around the post, router the edge or just bevel the edge. this way the post are on the ground as you wanted.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

thanks, that's a great idea.

the only problem is that the posts have really nice original corbels on the sides at the top, and i don't want to mess with those.

thanks again.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

Schmolz could you post a pic. with all these great minds on this site I'm sure we could come up with some ideas that could be of some use to you. remember the saying, a picture speaks a thousand words. BOB
Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Schmolz could you post a pic. with all these great minds on this site I'm sure we could come up with some ideas that could be of some use to you. remember the saying, a picture speaks a thousand words. BOB

Here are some pictures.
Finished the floor last week. Will give you an idea of the floating posts.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

Nice neat job! I would say that roof should settle down.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Nice neat job! I would say that roof should settle down.
thanks man.

really? so should i just leave them floating and wait indefinitely to put the railinsg on? pretty anxious to put them back on and get on with my life.

i tried jumping around on the roof and it didn't do a thing.

maybe you're right though.

thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #8

It will come down, it could be a few weeks of a few months,
You stated everything is the same length. your deck is straight. which will tell me if it does come down the girder will be straight too!. try putting a garbage pail up on the roof over the center post and block the bottom to keep the pail level. then fill the pail with water. she will come down. then secure the posts to the deck. Just make sure the bottom of the posts are sealed good. BOB
Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 516

how about having a piece of 1/2 or whatever the gap is,,,of solid steel plate cut and slip under the posts,,,make them exactly the same,calk and paint OR make them LOOK like a washer in place. It keeps the bottoms up and dryer so prevents rot etc.(well maybe NOT prevent,,lets say postpones some). Could get real fancy and make outside edge 45 degree angle
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
1921 Sears&Robuc

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
Here are some pictures.
Finished the floor last week. Will give you an idea of the floating posts.

Thanks!

Wow i cannot assist in anyway with your issue, but let me tell you what "WOW" what a job. Definatly profesional work, KUDOS!

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote