Help With Proper Framing Of Roof-wall-celing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with proper framing of roof-wall-celing

Forgive my terms if they are wrong, I've attached pictures to try and explain it better.

The previous owner of my house enclosed an outdoor patio. This room has always been drafty and cold. On windy days papers will actually blow off the desk.

The ceiling is vaulted and the roof overhangs with soffits. A few years back I had a company put vinyl siding on, they basically just went right over top of what was there. This included large, missing boards in the soffits.

I decided to take the vinyl soffits off and have a look underneath. When I looked up through where the soffit boards were missing, I realized I could see right in to the ceiling of this room. The ceiling has fiberglass batts.

I'm guessing this is not right. I'll fix the soffits with proper OSB boards, but should it be sealed at the top of the wall plate so the ceiling is not just completely open to the soffits. I understand it needs some airflow, especially with fiberglass batts, but the present configuration seems extreme.

Advertisement

sspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

#1 Please go back and add you location to your profile.
Just go to quick links to edit.
There was suppose to baffles added before the insulation was added for air flow.
The rafters should have been added on to fit the needed amount of insulation without compressing it.
A real picture of the addition would be a help.
Google "Smart vent" there often used in situations like this.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Understood, Denver, CO. Very dry....

I know what baffles are for the most part, I just don't know if this looks right? I've removed the awesome drywall soffits for the picture. I know that is wrong too.

The third picture, although you can't see it well, is a big air gap where they must have measured wrong.

Last edited by sspeed; 04-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.
sspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Sorry to have to keep asking questions but can you post a picture of this addition on the outside, from one of the ends?
Is this a single story house?
Just trying to figure out why it was built that way.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

You say that on windy days, papers get blown off the desk. Where is that airflow coming from? Not likely thought the sheetrock on the inside...
The roofline looks fine/soffits look fine, though, wait for Joe's take.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote