Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

Help please with table support

I'm about to begin the process of building a computer table for in my basement. It won't have a great deal of weight on it thanks to the invention of LCD monitors over tube, however, I am concerned with it sagging overtime from the weight of my arms typing, etc.

The table is going to be about 8 feet in length and probably 24 inches in depth with the main supports being close to the ends of the table. A vertical plywood span all along the back of the table will be ran between the vertical supports for support.

I was planning on making the top out of some type of finished plywood (oak, birch) that I will paint/stain and seal. I know that doubling the top up would give some strength to it but what are other options? Angle iron? If so, what size should I get? Since I will be sliding my desk chair under the table when finished I'd like the supports to be as low profile as possible.

Thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestions. Please let me know if more information is needed.

Stone

Stonefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #2

Think I may have answered my own question. I have an old king size bed frame in my garage that was left when I moved into my house. I'll just cut that down to the size I need and weld up a frame to attach the wood to. This should be plenty strong.

Thanks.

Stonefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Whatamess

You will have problems cutting it down. Most are made of hardened steel.